What's new

Idle problems

thatcd7

Members
Reaction score
Car
1996 honda accord
I recently got a 96 accord 2.2 f22b2 5 speed transmission. Ive been daily driving it for about a week now. After its all warmed up and I'm in idle the revs are unsteady. Moving from about 500 rpm to about 1500 rpm. But if I drive it for long enough the problem just disappears until I let it cool down and go to drive it again. I did some research and found that it may be something in the fuel system. The car has almost 290k on it so I figures maybe injectors. But I'm pretty inexperienced on fuel systems. Does anyone have any input? Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530A using Tapatalk

I'm not sure what the idle learn procedure would be on a 96 accord, but worth looking into it. On the 7th Gen it's a case of holding the car at 3K rpm until the engine's up to temp and then letting it idle without any auxiliaries on (no radio, no air con etc). Might be different on your car, but google should turn something up.

Couple this with a throttle body clean. Barr the cost of the cleaning spray is and these are free to do. Might not solve it, but you can at least rule out two issues.

One of the easier things to do is maybe clean the idle control valve. This can sometimes get coked up and a clean always makes a good difference