What's new

Oil guzzling 02 Accord

mikerainnie

Members
Reaction score
Car
accord
Hi,
just looking for people's opinions. I have a 2002 accord se excecutive, manual trans, 130,000 miles. It drinks oil & no leaks that I can see. Also when it warms up & I am in slow moving traffic I release the clutch in first gear & it starts juddering which shakes the whole car. this is intermittent. Clutch has been done around 30,000 miles ago. Anyone else had these symptoms & discovered the fault? Not had the car too long but have all the receipts for tons of work done lots of service history too. past MOT's don't show any oil leaks or problems. also noticed the exhaust gasket will need repairing in the near future too. Thanks in advance for your input.

Petrol or diesel?
If the engine "drinks" or "leaks" oil it could be an internal fault which could not be detected from outside.
The most common parts causing oil consumption are valve seals and piston rings.
About the juddering or drawbacks when releasing the clutch there are more options.
If you have a diesel it could be the "DMF" or "Dual Mass Flywheel" , the clutch itself if not mounted properly or one of the engine mounts are worn and this can cause too much movement of the engine.

If you can give more informations it will be easyier to help

Sorry, and thanks for your reply. It's a 2ltr injection petrol. It's going from the second indicator on the dipstick to the lower indicator after doing around 140 miles. I don't rag the car either. The DMF was done when the clutch was done.

Check for blue smoke out of exhaust on cold start up, that would mean she's burning the oil and chances are she missed a service in it's previous life and the rings have been damaged due to lack of lubrication.

Sidenote: was it a reputable person that did the timing belt?

Thanks for that. Will check for blue smoke. Can't see any from starting the car when I am in it. Would I need someone at the back of the car whilst I start it to check? The timing belt was done at a garage. I am using 5w 30 oil at the moment but have read on here that 5w 40 may be better. Thanks again for your help.

mikerainnie said:
thank you for your input
I wouldn't want to give false hope... if it's going from max to min on the dipstick in only 140 miles then that's a fairly significant problem! Apart from the judder when moving off (which is more likely the clutch or an engine/gearbox mount) does the engine pull strongly and give reasonable economy?

It pulls well in all gears & seems fine apart from the faults I mentioned. I just hope it's not the piston rings as I have read it's not financially viable to have them repaired.

7-8k per year that should be from 50 to 60 liters of oil.
In your position i would consider the engine replace with used one.
It will be much cheaper than repair the actual engine

the lack of smoke suggests that you're leaking oil ?.........if the crank seal behind the clutch is letting oil by when on the move you'd end up with the symptoms you describe (oil useage and clutch judder).

Cheers for that. She's going in for a pre MOT check next week so I will mention that to the mechanic & let you know the outcome. He's checking the piston rings he said. Thanks again

A compression test may be a good idea

Sent from my LG-K100 using Tapatalk

Sounds like he knows his stuff then

Sent from my LG-K100 using Tapatalk