What's new

green key shape light.

johncbx

Members
Reaction score
Car
tourer 2.0 petrol ex
Hi I have a 53 reg 2.0 petrol tourer, last couple of days I have had a green key shape light come on the dash flashing whilst driving. The car has been slow to turn over first start of the day so i replaced the battery as already on when car purchased few years ago. Anyone any ideas as to whats going wrong?

The green key light is something to do with your immobiliser, strange that it would flicker while driving. Is there an aftermarket alarm fitted?? Once driving the light should remain off. I'd look at the ignition itself for signs of excessive wear or could be a failing immobiliser unit.....

have you tried changing the battery in the key........friend of mine had a civic that kept trying to immobilise itself turned out it was the battery in the key that was done.
worth a try before anything more expensive.....

Hi Paul i had someone local say key battery so tried my spare key and its now behaving itself so will get two new batteries.
Think you both must be right , thank you.

fob battery only for power to remote lock/unlock transmitter in fob, nothing to do with rfid chip, so nothing to do with green key light

Thats strange as i haven't seen it flashing since i have been using spare key ?

Yes, both keys are identical I changed both batteries about 15 months ago.

good so now remove battery in both and car still start this prove green light not to do with battery

un lock car with remote first and open door then close door but not lock it
then remove battery out of fob then open door and it start engine

Hi woodie i think the problem with my mates car was the dying battery was trying to switch the alarm on while he was driving and it was activating the immobiliser......
Don't know if that's the case here but worth a try.......

hi paul, but remote can not lock car when engine running, try it, press lock button on key in ign with engine running or press lock button on spare fob, will not lock door, only arm rest button or door button, alarm only set when press fob lock button with key out ign

also take battery out of fob and key still start engine but now lock button not work

Hi woodie
I don't doubt what you are saying for a second fella....
Taking the battery out the key rules it out like you said.
After changing the battery I'd be beat....