What's new

self levelling xenon headlights faulty

pacer73

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord
Hi all,

after a huge storm here in Johannesburg, on my 2011 Honda Accord 2.2 icdti 180hp manual transmission the self levelling xenon headlights are not working anymore: the headlights point to the ground and the high beams are very low too. Furthermore, there is a noise (kind of "clic") when you turn the high beams on: that noise was not present before.

The mechanic at the Honda dealership has already started talking about the replacement of the self levelling sensors, at an expensive price; he added that there might be other faulty components too...

What should I check on my side, please, before to open the wallet for a huge damage? Fuses, perhaps?

Thanks

Check fuses and then wiring

Sent from my LG-K100 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply: which fuses should I check, please? I have looked at the manual of the car and no fuse is specifically related to the self levelling headlights. Moreover, I found some acronyms like EPT, that I wasn't able to decrypt...

I would check all fuses, under dash and under hood ones. After take a look at levers that connects to level sensors. These levers are prone to brake.

Sent from my m2 note using Tapatalk

Seized headlamp adjuster, likely the one on the same side as the battery. Heat from battery is the culprit in my opinion. Happened to mine. Replace the headlamp adjuster. There's a thread of mine somewhere where my problem is discussed with links to a video that explains it. Couldn't begin to find it as I'm on my phone, but if you haven't found it by later, I'll look it up on the computer.

Found the video. It's for the 7th gen, but it'll probably be the same principle, possibly even the exact same part as I know this part is shared across several models.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1HZWw-MpZE[/media]

The plastic motor bits seize and don't allow for the headlamps to move with ease. I also had some issue with the self levelling ECU and had to swap mine out with one from a breakers yard. But I think that was a very unusual problem and not something common at all. Best to look into the most probably causes.

If your adjusters freely move without problem (you should be able to manually turn them from the back with your finger strength) then they're probably ok and it's the sensors on the suspension that are at fault. These are essentially variable resistors and if possible, take them off, disassemble them and get to the electronics and give them a good cleaning with switch cleaner and reassemble. I must add though, I've not done this, so don't know if it's as simple a fix as that. The unit might be sealed and not able to open in which case, replacing the part is the only option.