What's new

Tapping

Timberfake

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord v-tec s
So come Friday my car developed a nice tapping notice from top of the engine.. only when warm and between 2000 and 2500 rpm.. garage think it could be lifters as oil to thin...?

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

What oil are you using ?

Sent from my LG-K100 using Tapatalk

Cliffordski said:
+1 it may need valve clearances adjusting
That's what I'm thinking towards.. might give it a go myself after finding a good video...

Timberfake said:
That's what I'm thinking towards.. might give it a go myself after finding a good video...

yeh it need manual adjust nd oil not effect lifters but oil might effect vtec engage

The operating viscosities of 0w-30 and 5w-30 are both the same, so won't make any difference.

I suggest using a different garage (one that understands Honda engines and oil viscosity) and get them to check the valve clearances.

Petrol 7gens should be checked every 25k for valve clearance.
On the 8th gen every 50k
Just had mine checked and adjusted and 6 needed adjustment and the engine is a lot quieter.

Also are you 100% it’s not your injectors as these tap slightly and is normal

brett said:
Also are you 100% it’s not your injectors as these tap slightly and is normal
Its always tapped slightly just like my civic did but this came on top at that at 1600 to 2500 revs and oil change made no difference so now after doing some researching I'm looking at the chain tensioner as they can fail with the spring being what's in play when at low revs so one is on order from America...

It passed the mot which was surprised at just need a few bushes changed which will be updating them once tapping problem is solved...

So my skunk2 tensioner has been fitted they also did clearances which were 8 in total needed to be done but problem still remains... now they have looked some more and they think it is big end bearings so car now back in garage as they will need to see the colours before they can order the right ones... nearly decided to strip the car as can't afford to do this but have spent so much on it... fingers crossed...

Oh blimey... Hope you can get it sorted without too much expense.