What's new

VSA light and Triangle light on after Lower ball Joint replacement

dionysius

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.4EX tourer auto
Hi All,

Just had my local garage replace my lower front passenger balljoint as was very worn at the MOT.

2.4EX auto Tourer with ADAS - 2006 Facelift model.

Garage said the balljoint was a bxxxxxd to get out (press fit) and the ABS Sensor was rusted in.

Having collected the car the Triangle warning late stays on, and the VSA light comes up and "VSA " in the info display in the bottom of speedo after driving away.

ABS light goes out as normal (doesn't stay on).

Tried disconnecting the batery to clear any errors, but this hasn't cured it.

have driven it several times

They said if the fault doesnt clear itself in the next day or so to bring it back...... but I'm slightly worried theyre not going to be able to sort this out.

Any ideas whats the issue ?

Have they damaged the ABS Sensor getting out, or its wiring problem, or is there an issue with the VSA unit (I thought htis was only diesels ?)

Cheers in advance

Dionysius.

They should have left the ABS sensor in place, undid the connector from the inner wing and removed the knuckle joint complete with the sensor. They have almost certainly wrecked the sensor and it isn't going to recover! (How do I know this? I made the exact same mistake when I replaced my lower balljoints!)

Use this thread to perform your own diagnostics... http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/23543-obd2-scs-absvsa/ - post #2 shows the layout of the socket (pins 4 & 9 will need linking) and post #3 has the full explanations for using and understanding the inbuilt 'SCS' diagnostics to read and clear VSA/ABS problems and also run the neutralisation (balancing) procedure which may be necessary if the garage did actually fit a replacement wheel sensor to your car.

Jon_G said:
They should have left the ABS sensor in place, undid the connector from the inner wing and removed the knuckle joint complete with the sensor. They have almost certainly wrecked the sensor and it isn't going to recover! (How do I know this? I made the exact same mistake when I replaced my lower balljoints!)

Use this thread to perform your own diagnostics... http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/23543-obd2-scs-absvsa/ - post #2 shows the layout of the socket (pins 4 & 9 will need linking) and post #3 has the full explanations for using and understanding the inbuilt 'SCS' diagnostics to read and clear VSA/ABS problems and also run the neutralisation (balancing) procedure which may be necessary if the garage did actually fit a replacement wheel sensor to your car.
I also made the same mistake...

Jan Accord said:
I also made the same mistake...
Yeah, it's kind of understandable, as the Honda workshop manual does instruct you to do this... problem is, once the car gets old the sensor rusts into the hole and removal is almost certain to end in damage to the sensor.

Also ask them about metalic ring that protects ABS senor from dirt and dust in wheelhub, did they replace it? Because its implausible to get ball joint out without damaging that ring.

Sent from my m2 note using Tapatalk

kokkss said:
Also ask them about metalic ring that protects ABS senor from dirt and dust in wheelhub, did they replace it? Because its implausible to get ball joint out without damaging that ring.

Sent from my m2 note using Tapatalk
You have to roughly lever out that ring then, during refit, carefully bend/hammer it straight again and refit. I was fairly happy with the state of mine afterwards.