What's new

Poor MPG on my 09 Auto Accord

Hero_uk1

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Civic
Hi Guys

I need a bit of help from Accord auto box owners. Is it normal to get 29MPG round town driving? Just had the major service done by Honda dealer, checked on invoice and they have used Castrol Edge 0w-20 Honda Oil. But get 29mpg round town so just wondering if this is about average MPG to expect from autobox.

Thanks

What spec and model did you buy in the end.
I get around 28 mpg around town with my 2.4 manual petrol.

Jon_G said:
Which engine?

You sure the rear brakes aren't binding?
2.2 i-dtec

If the rear wheels are hot that probably means the calipers are seized so will check later but then again cars only done 29800 miles so can't be that.

brett said:
What spec and model did you buy in the end.
I get around 28 mpg around town with my 2.4 manual petrol.
I bought the EX GT with ADAS LKAS in Milano Red

Have Honda used incorrect grade of oil in my car or can i get away with using 0w-20 instead of 0w30? I have done 220 miles since service so using incorrect grade of oil has caused damage to engine?

Hero_uk1 said:
2.2 i-dtec

If the rear wheels are hot that probably means the calipers are seized so will check later but then again cars only done 29800 miles so can't be that.
More an age/corrosion thing than mileage. It's easy to rule out though.

Hopefully member edgeoftime will be along to tell us what MPG he gets from his 8th gen auto diesel.

Jon_G said:
More an age/corrosion thing than mileage. It's easy to rule out though.

Hopefully member edgeoftime will be along to tell us what MPG he gets from his 8th gen auto diesel.
Thanks Jon _G

Check for scorching on your rear pads and disks.
I drove an Auto a few years back for a courtesy car and from memory I was getting around 35mpg around town and 45 on the motorway.
I would have thought 0-30 oil for your car but believe Honda are now using 0-20 across the range.

brett said:
I drove an Auto a few years back for a courtesy car and from memory I was getting around 35mpg around town and 45 on the motorway.
I would have thought 0-30 oil for your car but believe Honda are now using 0-20 across the range.
But manual states to use 0w20 for petrol and 0w30 for diesel. Even castrol website states to use 0w30 for my car. Will 0w20 oil in my car cause any issues you reckon or continue driving?

I have the same car idtec tourer diesel, average about 40mpg overall. Are you always in town driving? I put exol 0/20 low saps in mine, from Autolube. If as you say the rear brakes are warm/hot after a drive could be an over adjust by your mechanic how many clicks on handbrake lever, you need at least 6.

Sorry I am using 0-30 low saps, and just checked the computer, last trip average speed 37.5 mph average fuel usage 39.5 mpg. Not sure I believe it though. but what can't speak can't lie. LOL

I can't see any harm in using a 20 viscosity, unless consumption becomes an issue.

I also heard that Honda have made this switch, but cannot find a link to back it up.

Jon_G said:
I can't see any harm in using a 20 viscosity, unless consumption becomes an issue.

I also heard that Honda have made this switch, but cannot find a link to back it up.
dROPPED ANOTHER CLANGER jON. I have amended my post,

edgeoftime said:
I have the same car idtec tourer diesel, average about 40mpg overall. Are you always in town driving? I put exol 0/20 low saps in mine, from Autolube. If as you say the rear brakes are warm/hot after a drive could be an over adjust by your mechanic how many clicks on handbrake lever, you need at least 6.

Sorry I am using 0-30 low saps, and just checked the computer, last trip average speed 37.5 mph average fuel usage 39.5 mpg. Not sure I believe it though. but what can't speak can't lie. LOL
Hi
yes most of my journey is in town and city. I would be happy with getting between 37-40 MPG but 29mpg takes the biscuit.

Hear you go and yes the correct grade is low saps 0w-30

Hero_uk1 said:
Hi
yes most of my journey is in town and city. I would be happy with getting between 37-40 MPG but 29mpg takes the biscuit.
No wish to pee on your parade, but I think you have bought the wrong car! But then again 29 is only 1 short of 30, why worry? The DPF should be your main concern.

edgeoftime said:
No wish to pee on your parade, but I think you have bought the wrong car! But then again 29 is only 1 short of 30, why worry? The DPF should be your main concern.
Im not fussed about DPF as thats getting removed and EGR deleted with a fuel efficient remap. After having DPF removed, can i start using 5w30 Fully synthtic oil (triple qx) from eurocarparts?

Thanks

brett said:
No scorching on rear disks and wheels not getting hot.

You can use normal Synthetic (doesn't need to be low saps) but stick to 0w30

I'm also disappointed with the 2.2 I-DTEC MPG in my '09 Accord EX Auto.
Am getting 33MPG.
Mostly Town and occasional 20mile round trips, but was expecting better.

I've just changed my Air Filter, and have reset, and that may help.
Also, am due an oil change, so will ensure fully synthetic 0/30 is put in and see if that helps.

I find less use of the 'lead foot' helps.
I notice in the mpg display that when driving, if you get up to speed, then drop the pedal back a touch, you get improved MPG,
so am in the process of training myself to drive a bit more 'softly;n :)

changing the air filter to a proper honda one has my mpg up from 33mpg to 39mpg, even hit 41mpg ar one stage.
Amazed at how much it has inproved.

That would explain some of it. Milder weather is more likely the reason for improved economy on a diesel.

My 2010 idtec auto saloon has now done 101,000 miles (70k with me) and as far as I can tell between fills is doing 45mpg and around 50mpg on a run as it always has in the past five years. However, I don't trust what the computer tells me any more. After a long motorway run it says I have averaged something like 48kph (I'm in France). I wonder if there is some way of resetting it?

I get between 26 and 32 mpg in the city. Fahad did my map n dpf.
09 2.2 auto

I love this car, apart from my sticky accuator at (120mph+)