What's new

Exhaust manifold

Richiano

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 i-CTDi EX
After nearly 153k my exhaust manifold has finally started leaking which isn't too bad as its the original one (3 bolts on the heat shield) from new. My brother in law has got his own garage and he had a quick look a couple of days ago but he said he cant be sure where the leak is without removing the heat shield which he is going to do next week. Has anyone tried to weld it while its still bolted to the engine or does it have to come off? Or is it best just to play it safe and replace it?

Just replace it, Genuine Honda ~325 stg
New Spurious ~90 including the steel gaskets and nuts
I don't think its worth welding the 2 piece version.
I just bought mine from Ebay 80 including the MLS gaskets and some nuts and studs.

I would also replace but in answer to the question yes it is possible to weld and we used to weld them all the time in the workshop. It will need to be removed and done on the bench. I would advise a new set of gaskets whichever option you go for

The thing with the genuine kit is that you get a lot of other little bits that may or may not be needed, there are a couple of steel wool type ring gaskets as well as some graphite gaskets and O-rings that I ***ume are for the turbo.
Not really sure that you need to replace these instead of reusing them but they are included in the kit

Hi. I had mine welded and it was fine. However it was needed to be taken off the car to welded. Never had a problem after that.

Just had a call from Honda to say that they wont cover the cost of a replacement manifold, She said they did a warranty extension for the manifold but its has now passed that and mines a late 07 car so cant see them covering the cost for any future claims.

I spoke to both my local dealer and Honda hq they both said I would have to pay an initial £54.60 before they even looked at it and then an hourly rate after that just to inspect it and said they would need it for 2-3 hours! They also wanted to charge me £15.00 for a courtesy car. They then said they if the manifold was found to be cracked that I should be able to reclaim my initial costs but then followed it up saying it wouldn't be covered under warranty anyway!

When you can buy a replacement one piece manifold with gaskets for 80 its not worth messing IMHO.

I bought mine from this outfit,
Came fast and looks fine, not fitted mine yet but I am confident.
Ebay # 162140157643

I an't confirm but I suspect the original 3 bolt one will bolt on to the new manifold, at the most it will only take two holes drilled to fit it.

It says no 3 bolt gasket included. Did you buy one or do you intend to reuse? If get one do you have a link? I'm not quite sure what I'd be searching for!

There is two gaskets included, the manifold to head and the triangular one to turbo.
There is no three bolt heatshield in this kit but the old one should fit IIRC.

Confused:

MANIFOLD + GASKET ARE INCLUDED - Please note NO 3 Bolt gasket available with this listing