Honda P1236 overboost

Jan Accord

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord CN1
Hi fellas

Hope you are doing well

I have a problem with overboost on my lady with fault code P1236.
On civic info i found some info regarding this but not what i wanted to hear [emoji23]
Every opinion regarding this is very welcome.

For now i'm waiting a new solenoid valve which controls the VNT

Has this happened after a remap?

Channel Hopper said:
That code may not have anything to do with the turbo on an Accord.

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/11049-nitemare/

I'm not quite sure how the washer could get into the engine, but concentrate on the first page of comments only.
Injectors checked - ok
Swirl control valve/solenoid valve - replaced
EGR valve - blinked
Fuel filter - new ( genuine )
Air filter - clean ( pipercross )
VNT - checked/moving freely

Advice ?

Jan Accord said:
Injectors checked - ok
Swirl control valve/solenoid valve - replaced
EGR valve - blinked
Fuel filter - new ( genuine )
Air filter - clean ( pipercross )
VNT - checked/moving freely
Advice ?
See #4

Have the remap removed and see if it solves it. Always use a tuner experienced with these engines. Simple.

I used an experienced tuner for this engines so no wory there...however i will return to him to see what he advices.

Fahad do you have eny experience on this field?

Yes of course which is why I asked you that question in the first place.

Do you think there is a problem on the map?

Poslano z mojega ASUS_Z016S z uporabo Tapatalk

Went to the tuner and the result is the too high intake temperature due the stock intercooler.
The work is already in progress
19ac6c0d907a0f09c7a71eef2fee530a.jpg
27fa8217838c560c691c0235e624946f.jpg
73ca2e9054a3783a81ec2b6ab3199d54.jpg
189242fe2fc157290a8187bf727bcb6a.jpg
cb3e7d5cf5bb093d6c0f665148a048be.jpg

What size is that IC? 5 x the size of the stock one? It should make a good difference to the charge temp.

So he's going to log it and tune it again after you modify the IC?

F6HAD said:
So he's going to log it and tune it again after you modify the IC?
Exactly
From what i understand him this code could also be an "safe mode" when the intake air temperature is too high

Nope, the code means boost pressure is higher than requested. You need to investigate why that's happening.

It's your choice as always but I would have never gone down this route. These cars don't respond well to intercooler mods, by adding a larger surface area and longer pipework all you're doing is creating a pressure drop which will need the turbo to boost harder just to compensate.

I guess you need to follow the advice of your tuner because he's the one who's looking at your car and advising you.

Good luck

Yes the code is overboost but it was his advice to change the intercooler first due too high intake temperature .

I do not need that the turbo lifespan remains same like on stock setup because i'm looking for performance in with that the maintence of the car but this is not a lroblem for me.

I also ordered the solenoid valve which controls the VNT mechanism.

We will see how it will respond and i will let you know

Hello everybody,

I have the same problem on my Honda Accord 2.2icdti, after accelerating to hard on approximately 180km/h engine gets on Safe Mode with engine light on. I need to turn off the car wait for some time then start it and it will get off Safe Mode and will work as usual - engine light stays on, error: Turbo boost pressure to high.

Jan do you have the same experience just after remapping your car or? I just bought this car and I don't know if its remapped or not..

Thanks for your help!!

Yes we have the same problem.
From waht i discovered until now there could me serval reasnons for this fault.
1. Intake air temeperature is too high
2. Sticking VNT mechanism
3. Incorrect VNT position/sutup
4. Faulty VNT solenoid valve
5. Faulty turbocharger

If you can wait few days i will come back with some more informations.
Today i will mount a new intercooler and the VNT solenoid valve.
Will take u updated

Jan Accord said:
Yes we have the same problem.
From waht i discovered until now there could me serval reasnons for this fault.
1. Intake air temeperature is too high
2. Sticking VNT mechanism
3. Incorrect VNT position/sutup
4. Faulty VNT solenoid valve
5. Faulty turbocharger

If you can wait few days i will come back with some more informations.
Today i will mount a new intercooler and the VNT solenoid valve.
Will take u updated

I'm workin on it. For the weekend i should change the VNT solenoid valve.
The intercooler i already changed and the car feels much more powerful than before, especialy in high gears.
I don't get any fault anymore after changing the intercooler so the informations regarding the too high intake temperature feom my tuner had some sense.

I will take u updated when i change the valve

Jan Accord said:
I'm workin on it. For the weekend i should change the VNT solenoid valve.
The intercooler i already changed and the car feels much more powerful than before, especialy in high gears.
I don't get any fault anymore after changing the intercooler so the informations regarding the too high intake temperature feom my tuner had some sense.

I will take u updated when i change the valve

Great keep us posted

Sent from my LG-K100 using Tapatalk

Hi bud

No i did not changed the valve, but already i'm not having any problems after changing the intercooler.
I already have the valve at home but now i'm vaiting some new vacum hoses, because they can also cause this problem as well.
I think i will do the job in the begining of next year so when done i will let you know

Good for you man, I changed the turbocharger because it got broken and still have the same problem but only when I accelerate really fast at the fifth gear.. i am getting little scared it will brake the second turbocharger. I also checked if its mapped but its not.. I am totally stuck, mechanics here dont know how to fix it so I am looking forward to get some help from you guys.

Best regards

As already mentioned in this thread you have a short list what to check.
Start where is cheaper and this should be the vacuum lines.
Every mechanic should have the vacuum tester in his workshop.
Then you should try to change the solenoid actuator. If it could help to you when i change mine i can pack it and send it to you before you spend money

Hi Jan,

You are very generous, thank you!

I spent a lot of money until now trying to fix this but nobody could, had it to four mechanics until now and my only option left is to send it to Honda service and I am afraid they will charge me as much as my car costed. If the solenoid actuator is functional and you don't need it send it to me, If it works and solves the problem I will pay you about it right after.

Best regards