What's new

Rear caliper

simpo

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda accord
Ok so my rear o/s brake keeps over heating if you drive sensible it’s not to bad only over heats slightly but if you give it beans over heats loads disc are piping hot! So I have changed caliper,disks,pads and rear shoes everything is nice and free but still over heating so anyone got any ideas as I feel like just setting it on fire

Setting it on fire will only increase the over heating problem! :p You need to work backwards from the caliper, is the hose new? they can collapse internally and allow fluid to pass to the caliper but not return.

Yeah it’s a tourer! No hose isn’t new that’s prob the only thing I haven’t don’t lol

simpo said:
Yeah it’s a tourer! No hose isn’t new that’s prob the only thing I haven’t don’t lol
As stated, the hose is probably KAPUTT. the caliper will need purging as well due to dirt getting in, take the bleed nipple out and give the pedal a couple of swift pumps, a clean basin to catch the fluid will show any muck that is ejected. Failing that removing and refitting the piston is a "nightmare" job.

Yeah may be next step is hose but it’s strange that if I take it slow doesn’t really over heat

I have also found that the little stainless steel plates that sit in the caliper carrier get pushed out by corrosion swelling behind them, When I first got my Tourer I removed the carriers and sanded all the corrosion off the area behind the plates and they haven't given any trouble yet, touch wood.
I'd rather the pads were slightly loose then binding in the carrier as the piston return is so slight all it is is the action of the piston seals pulling back slightly.If they bind at all they can overheat at speed and that's not good for anything.

Did you get this sorted? I had this problem to it changed every thing until I found out that euro car parts where supplying the wrong pads. Touring pads don't have the dimples on the back those where for the saloon. The ones on the car when I got it also had the dimples too. See an old post office mine, buthe as soon as I ground them off guess what, cool brakes, lots of other people out there had the same problem. Good luck

I had the same seizing problem and thought I needed a new caliper. The local mechanic tried replacing the sliders and it worked. Cheap fix.

seems like you have a sticky caliper, options are to refurb or replace i would not buy parts from euro car parts as many people have had issues
www.brakeparts.co.uk
i used them to purchase refurbed calipers.