What's new

ABS and SRS light on

Deetee

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord mk6 1.8
Hi all, new here, just picked up an old accord (6th generation) for cheap with a couple of faults as the ***le suggests. It's a UK spec 1999 1.8 automatic, so there's no obd2 connector, just the blue2 pin SRS connector and a blue 5 pin connector.

I've searched the guides on here that have helped me somewhat, but due to to photo bucket getting all ****, none of the pictures for any of the guides work, and I am led to believe there is no Haynes book of lies for the UK 6th gen?

Anyway, bridging both terminals on the Srs plug just lights the engine management light constantly until unbridged, and wiring pins 3 and 5 of the 5 pin connector (supposed to get flash codes on the ABS light) does nothing.

Would it be possible to get a link to some working pictures, or maybe some advice so I can track down the faults and rectify them? Thanks in advance!

Well, a bit of a development, I bridged the two pin connector with the ignition off (I was previously doing it with the ignition on) and it has flashed up 2 Srs codes, I've got a 73 and an 86, which are both 'Srs unit fault, low voltage', and I'm led to believe the Srs unit is located under the passenger seat somewhere, so I'll check the wiring when the crap weather goes away as I'll need to lie in the road to get a good view under the seat. As for the 5 pin connector, hoping to get an abs fault code, I've tried bridging pins 1 and 3, and 3 and 5, with ignition on and off, but no joy

Hi there and welcome,

Check wiring and let us know should also be a faulty sensor. Have you checked all fuses before doing further work there are fuses in cabin and engine way.

Sent from my LG-K100 using Tapatalk

Hi, thanks for responding, I took all the wheels off yesterday to check reluctor rings and abs sensors, all wiring to sensors looks good at the wheels, but I noticed that osf ring and sensor were covered in greasy filth, did not get time to give them a proper clean but think that will be my first port of call. Not checked any of the fuses, will take a look at that today

Well, a few days have passed and I've had chance to clean the osf speed sensor and reluctor ring, the problem still persists however it has become even 'more' intermittent, if that is the correct term, meaning that there are more occasions that the light is off than there was before cleaning the sensor stuff. All other sensors look ok. I pulled the fuse under the bonnet to reset the codes but the light still illuminates. No luck with diagnostics at all.

With regards to the airbag light, have checked the wiring and fuses and all seems to be in good order, my mechanic thinks it might be to do with the clock spring in the steering wheel, but time, and tomorrow's looming MOT will tell. If I can get any more information I'll share it here incase this thread can be of ***istance to anyone at any point

Deetee said:
Well, a few days have passed and I've had chance to clean the osf speed sensor and reluctor ring, the problem still persists however it has become even 'more' intermittent, if that is the correct term, meaning that there are more occasions that the light is off than there was before cleaning the sensor stuff. All other sensors look ok. I pulled the fuse under the bonnet to reset the codes but the light still illuminates. No luck with diagnostics at all.

With regards to the airbag light, have checked the wiring and fuses and all seems to be in good order, my mechanic thinks it might be to do with the clock spring in the steering wheel, but time, and tomorrow's looming MOT will tell. If I can get any more information I'll share it here incase this thread can be of ***istance to anyone at any point
What diagnostic equipment are you using ?

Sent from my LG-K100 using Tapatalk

Merry Christmas. Lol, I was using a paper clip to bridge connections and get the dash lights flashing, but was only able to get a code from the srs light. I have an 'autel' maxiscan obd2 reader knocking about that can read my Honda Civic (same model year) engine codes but there is no obd2 connector. What equipment should I use to read from this car?

Might be a bit late but have you looked in the passenger footwell where the carpet meets the centre console trim. The OBD port is there on my 2000 2.0 and my Dad's 1998 2.0.

Unless the 1.8's were different just to be awkward.

Yep, there's a bracket right there for an obd plug, but there's nowt in it, it's as if the Honda guys knocked off a few mins earlier that friday and just decided not to bother fitting the plug