What's new

how many litres does the auto tramission hold

JADEHOUSE

Reaction score
Car
HONDA ACCORD
hello im just wondering how many litres does the auto tramission hold and which oil to use

thank you

honda accord auto 2006

[Note - I know enough to be dangerous - I am not a mechanic / technician]

The answer to your question is - it depends on why you are asking and what you are planning on doing that needs an answer to that question.

Unlike the normal engine oil you cannot just change the auto oil as there is a whole load of it inside the torque convertor which you cannot just drop out the bottom.
You may be able to suck / drop a few litres out - in which case you will need to replace a few litres
There are machine that do a complete flush, pumping the oil out whilst replacing it with new oil. I believe that these generally use about 20 litres to do a complete job as the oil gets cleaner and cleaner the more you pump through (you can never change 100% due to the nature of the job). There are alternative methods to using a machine that are more "home mechanic" - depends on how confident you are

Some people say that if you have an old box that has never been maintained / flushed (say 150K on the original oil plus a few topups) then changing the oil can / will / may destroy the box
On my car Honda reccomend doing the Autobox oil every 65K (or so - I can't remember the exact figure but its about that)

Sean

Just changed mine, plug removed and at best got 3 litres out, replace the exact amount, do not overfill, as stated to change the lot 13 liters thereabouts iirc it's a dealer job, or you can repeat the process 4 times they say by driving a short distance, which mixes the old with the new. Not noticed any difference since doing it. Took the easy way out though.

An older model but the same method

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7_RsnD8hAU