What's new

Honda accord cdti wont start

Crisj73

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda accord
Hi im a newbie and in desperate need of some help. I have a 2006 2.2 cdti that wont start when its cold ive replaced the glow plugs and checked that i have power going to them the car will bump start and runs 100%, when the engine is up to running temperature i can turn it off and it will start but if it cools down it's a non starter again.

Is it slow to crank? Could be something as simple as a weak battery on this engine.

Really it needs a thorough diagnostic session. But try eliminating the battery as an issue. Tomorrow morning when the engine is cold, hook it up to another car with jump leads and crank it.

I had the unfortunate responsibility of trying to fix a Vectra 1.9 cdti which struggled to start intermittently. Replaced glow plugs, diesel filter etc. Battery was tested and was fine. Real head scratcher. After weeks and weeks we replaced the starter motor following suggestions on a forum and hey Presto problem was solved! Couldn't believe a slightly slow starter would stop it starting consistently. From the sound, you wouldn't have thought it. Worth a thought?

It wont start when it's warm now lol but if i take it for a run up our a road it starts fine for a little while.

I think the injectors are coded on the Accords, so if one of them is down (not working on startup) then this could prevent the car from starting; perhaps. Does it cough into life or sound lumpy whatsoever? Either when it does start, or when bump starting?

Just thinking out loud - go out to the car, turn the key so all the dash lights come on, turn the key OFF > repeat this on off process 3 or 4 times.

For a start, this will be warming the plugs up and ensure they are as hot as they need to be and 2) if you have a fuel priming/pressure problem, this could resolve it short term.
Ultimately, if it improves using this method it still doesn't confirm which is causing the issue, if either. Could be crank position sensor as they're common, too.

Give that key on/off method a try and report back...

These diesels have a mechanical fuel pump, so simply turning the ignition on/off won't have any effect. Glowplugs make no difference unless it's really really super-cold, like in Siberia,I don't even wait for mine to heat up and it was minus 8 degrees here last week.

I'm guessing there's a leak on the fuel line up from the tank that's letting air in, and so the fuel runs back to the tank when the engine is turned off and then has to be pumped all the way back up again. Try priming the system with the rubber hand pump to see if it starts OK after that.

Fair point Stoobsy.

I used to use the on/off method with an old 1.8 N/A diesel fiesta van I had which was an absolute nightmare to start. It did help, but eventually got so bad that I considered it being an air leak in the fuel line. I coated the entire pump, and fuel line joints in a heat resistant silicone sealant. Also replaced the glow plugs at the same time (which did seems to work at any temperatures around zero - not sure exactly wheat temp they would kick in at though).

Made the problem almost completely disappear. Budget fix, but it was a budget vehicle. It didn't have a hand primer, so if the accord does have one then it's absolutely worth a try! Good suggestion.

Ive tried turning the ignition on and off and it still doesnt start but i bump it and go for a 15 min drive i can turn it off while coasting and turn the key and it starts instantly but i i pull over and turn it off it takes a little while to start. When i bump it it runs with no problems.

Hi mattblack when i bump it it doesnt splutter or anything it just starts and i have no isues.

Hmmm - crank position sensor perhaps? This would cause similar issues with none starting, but wouldn't affect it being bump started I ***ume? Maybe i'm leading you down the wrong path..

This thread might help in location of the sensor. Trying to find the guys initial thread to understand what his hot starting issues were:

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/14012-i-ctdi-crank-position-sensor-replacement/

EDIT: Found his post on this. Turns out his issue turned out to be one of the injectors had a leak. Can you hear a ticking/slight hissing when it's running? Usually that's the audible sign of a leaky seal on an injector. I'm no mechanic, however.

"In those weeks I was planning to sell SPUTNIK-I, it had a bunch of niggles occur, such as an ABS sensor and then a warm-starting fault. It got it MOT'd in May and had the ABS sensor replaced, but I just it with my local garage to play with regarding its starting fault. I was certain it was fuel pressure, but not sure if injectors or pump.
Thing was...time flew and Summer came and went...and its took this long for the garage to find time to play with it.

They've got back to me today. They did a leak-off test and n04 injector was leaking off excessively. They've put another injector in and supposedly it fires up no probs now :)"

No i can't here any hissing at all. Ive just ordered a cam and crankshaft sensor so im hoping it's one of them.

Playing 'parts darts' is a big mistake. If either of those sensors was faulty then you'd be getting the relevant specific error code.

Do not confuse excessive injector leak-off (which can cause starting problems) with a leaking injector gasket. Two separate problems!

Ive checked again for any hissing ive even put my hand above them to see if i can feel anything at all and i cant here or feel anything so im taking it it's all fine.

Crisj73 said:
Ive checked again for any hissing ive even put my hand above them to see if i can feel anything at all and i cant here or feel anything so im taking it it's all fine.
That only tells you that the gasket isn't leaking. Even if the gasket was leaking then starting wouldn't be affected.

Ive had it checked over and the garage is saying either cam or crankshaft so ive just ordered one if each now i need to know where they are located please.

Crisj73
did you ever resolve this issue as we are in a similar position. Car cranks for ages when cold/ left for a while after stopping before firing. We’ve changed the battery and really don’t want to play ‘parts darts’,we are at our wits end and considering getting rid of the car but it is a lovely runner, the starting is the only issue.