• Pre-Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Name:Mike Bennett
  • Car :Accord Type R
  • LocationPreston

Posted 03 January 2018 - 10:31 PM

Hi all,

I have a 2000 Accord Type R (ch1) and a few months ago I discovered a leak on the drivers side of the boot. I did some Google-ing and the most common cause seemed to be the rear lights so I removed it, applied a little silicon and put it back in. At the time I also found places in this area where the body seams were coming adrift so I filled those up as well and also replaced the boot seal. Although this has reduced it it has by no means solved it. On further investigation I found that it is wet on the underside of what is the drainage gully between the rear wing and the lip on which the boot seal sits. The leak also seems worse if the car is parked on a slope facing downhill. I've sat my phone in the boot videoing the area whilst it was raining but can't see where it's coming in and not being able to drop the back seats means I can't sit in there myself. Does anyone have any experience of this and know what the potential cause is? It's driving me mad!!

Here's hoping,

Mike

#2 smokingman

smokingman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Name:John
  • Car :Accord Tourer 2008/9
  • LocationLincoln

Posted 18 January 2018 - 04:44 PM

An old trick that may help lightly dust the inside of the boot where you suspect the water coming in with talc powder and it will leave traces were the water runs. I had an older Accord and found the seal where the floor pan joins the side panel to have a slight leak from the wheel arch into the boot only when driven in the rain.

#3 ATR_Mike

ATR_Mike

• Pre-Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Name:Mike Bennett
  • Car :Accord Type R
  • LocationPreston

Posted 18 January 2018 - 06:40 PM

Hi smokingman and thanks for taking the time to reply. It turns out I may have finally solved the issue... I went and picked some parts up from a breaker a couple of weeks ago and mentioned it to him. He said 'Oh yeah you get the same thing on the CTR ep3's. It'll be a hairline crack in the welded joint in the roof gutter under the rubber strip. You just need to clean it out and seal it up'. Sure enough there was a hairline split so sealed it up and so far so good!!

Hopefully this might help someone else out with the same issue.

Cheers.

#4 smokingman

smokingman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Name:John
  • Car :Accord Tourer 2008/9
  • LocationLincoln

Posted 23 January 2018 - 11:47 AM

Fingers crossed!!