What's new

Drivers window getting stuck when fully down

-Rich-

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.4 Tourer Auto
I put my window all the way down the other day and when I went to put it up it was getting stuck. It popped up by an inch, then went back down. This happened a few times until it came all the way up. It seems to do it everytime now but I'm not sure what could be causing it. Any ideas?

The window goes up and down at normal speed and there's no problems providing it's not put fully down.

Mine does this. Seems to be common issue and is intermitent.

If you lift the switch very slowly a milimetre at a time it always works. Once the window is up over an inch you can fully pull the switch for full auto close. I have cleaned the channels and glass but no difference. However we have mastered the slight switch pull and so have stopped further investigations which can wait for the summer when i can remove the door panel.

Yeah, try to only nudge it up on the first click. If you go to the second click (the auto-up) feature, it tends to stop.

I believe the cause to be moisture and gunk in the window runners causing resistance as you'll probably notice a correlation between cold, damp weather it being worse. Take a butter knife or anything thin and hard with some cloth wrapped around it and give the window runners a thorough clean out. It makes the windows run more happily for a while, until they get clogged up again.

Thanks guys I'll try the switch slowly and clean the runners. I've had the car over 4 years now and it's the first time I've experienced it, the auto feature has always worked. Having said that I don't use the windows that often as I have the aircon on most of the time.

Mine does this and in order to get it up up I hold my fingers over the rear end of the glass and push down whilst I pull the switch just to straighten the glass as its starts and then it comes up its fine as soon as its up 15 mm...

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

We had this with our old tourer, but never got to the bottom of it - pulling the glass inwards then using the switch worked, so I felt that it was something up with the regulator.

If it does turn out to be dirty channels, After cleaning the channels (try using wd40 or similar with a clean rag / kitchen roll / cotton bud), lube that sucker up with silicon spray.