What's new

Wheels doesn't center properly

scrn

Members
Reaction score
Car
Tourer 2.0i -03
I have a 2003 Tourer and after i turn and let go of the wheel it should self center so that the car goes straight. But the self centering force is very weak so if i go at slow speeds i have to help and turn the wheels straight myself. If you drive at higher speed, or accelerate out of a corner there is enough force to center the wheels.
A big concern, and when this gets dangerous, is when there is ice on the road and the grip is very low. Then there is zero centering force so you don't feel if you have the tires in the righ direction that the car is going or if you are off by some degrees. And then when you suddenly get a bit more traction and your wheels are off the car can make a little skid.

I've had it to a shop but they didn't find anything and said that everything was straight and nothing worn. They guessed that it could be the steering gear, but wasn't sure.
Does anyone know what can cause this problem?

Are you sure the bottom ball joints are OK, this sounds like what happens when they wear?
You need to jack the weight off the wheels and then use a prybar to check the balljoint.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdkF7IUv5YU

No i haven't checked anything under the car myself. But I've had it to two different shops and both didn't find anything.
Is the bottom ball joints something that can be overlooked and missed? Is it a particular problem on this car? Or can they have spotted just a little play which they thought was OK but in reality is what is causing the problem?

I've searched the internet for ball joint problems and symptoms. However i can't find anything that describes a steering wheel that doesn't center as a symptom to bad ball joints. Has anyone experienced this or found anything about this?

Thank you! It's a good feeling finding someone describing the same symptoms i am feeling :)

So the OEM ball joints aren't of any good quality. Is Febi a good option, or is any other manufacturer preferred?

I went with TRW, I have one in stock and will buy another mate soon, I want to do both sides at the same time when they need to be done.
I think FEBI should be fine, certainly better than OEM Honda by all accounts!

It could also be the steering rack as well, have you done a flush and refill with PSF?

I got my car back from the shop now and they've changed both the bottom ball joints. However the problem with the steering is just the same. Hmmm

So maybe it's the steering rack then, that's what the shop thought it was also so it's my best bet now. Should it be okay to buy a used one?

No haven't flushed the PSF so that's worth a try i guess. Is there any guide on how to do it? :)