What's new

High beam not dipping

Ove

Reaction score
Car
2.2 TDCI Tourer
I have a 56 reg 2.2TDCI Tourer and for the last few months I have had problems with my headlights not dipping. It is getting progressively worse to the point where it is almost impossible to dip the high beam.
When I pull the lever back the blue light in the dash goes out but the high beam stays on. I have to flick the lever many times before it finally goes of.
The high beam has also stayed on a couple of times when I have stopped the engine and taken the key out.

Someone mentioned relay to me but not sure if that can even be changed easily on this car.

Any ideas?

thanks

Ove

I'm starting to experience this issue also. Only since I changed bulbs. No light on dash, but lights on! Have also returned to car after parking to find main beam on too!

Any suggestions?

jon.moreby said:
I'm starting to experience this issue also. Only since I changed bulbs. No light on dash, but lights on! Have also returned to car after parking to find main beam on too!

Any suggestions?
Did you try/buy the optional H4s with higher wattage (> 70W) out there that might be fusing the relay itself ?

A lot of motorcycle electrics (Italian mainly, but Triumphs as well) have been damaged by moving up from the 55/60W recommended ones without adding an aftermarket relay system.

Channel Hopper said:
Did you try/buy the optional H4s with higher wattage (> 70W) out there that might be fusing the relay itself ?

A lot of motorcycle electrics (Italian mainly, but Triumphs as well) have been damaged by moving up from the 55/60W recommended ones without adding an aftermarket relay system.
They were ecp brighter bulbs. Although haven't touched the main beam bulbs.

Same wattage as the original fitment then.

It sounds as though you might have (or had) water inside the fuse box, which has bridged a couple of the tracks inside the circuit layers. Corrosion may have set in, making the connection less temporary, which is why it's happened in the damp spell.

Dismantling isn't an option according to the threads nearby, though there should be no harm to start off with by putting a bag of desiccant under the cover overnight and then banging the sides/top of the box to shift the conductive debris.

After that it may be more expensive.

Channel Hopper said:
Same wattage as the original fitment then.
It sounds as though you might have (or had) water inside the fuse box, which has bridged a couple of the tracks inside the circuit layers. Corrosion may have set in, making the connection less temporary, which is why it's happened in the damp spell.
Dismantling isn't an option according to the threads nearby, though there should be no harm to start off with by putting a bag of desiccant under the cover overnight and then banging the sides/top of the box to shift the conductive debris.
After that it may be more expensive.
I have not touched the main beam lights at all, I do also have the silica bags installed. It's just weird!

When operating the main beam, the dipped beam does not go out, so the additional power runs through the circuitry only when you are using main beam.

On anther thread somebody has confirmed each headlight operates off an individual relay system, so I am discounting a faulty plug in component, though it wouldn't hurt to swop different ones around in the fusebox to see if this fixes the issue, even if only temporary.

if you're any way handy on the tools, remove the switch stalk and clean the internal contacts on stalk, failing that, it could be a relay issue as mentioned above.