What's new

Bigger battery in the Tourer

Channel Hopper

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 7 Estate 2005
I was kindly given a battery out of a Ford Transit three weeks ago (80 Amp hour) which the customer had replaced under warranty following a breakdown in 2016.

Having charged it up carefully on a cherished Optimate Mk1 (for motorcycles) and finding the battery was holding at around 12.7V for almost a week I shoehorned it into the plastic container under the bonnet - it does fit, with a little persuasion, no cutting required - what a difference to the cranking. The earlier battery was a 70 Amp Hour which should have been enough according to the manual.

The mechanical pump turns over much faster and so the engine catches almost immediately with fuel delivered faster, in the cold spell it meant the glow-plug warming made little difference to the eventual crank (though I still wait for the click from under the bonnet, knowing they have turned off after the eight/ten seconds) before moving the key to position three.

Highly recommended

For those wanting more detail, the original CCA ( cold crank Amperage) was 640, the larger battery puts out a claimed 700.