What's new

2005 2.2 iCDTi Gearbox fault?

NathanH1984

Members
Reaction score
Car
2005 2.2 i-cdti
So today my trusty Honda broke on me!

Looking for some ideas on what the issue (and costs!) could be before I get it to the garage next week.

Engine starts fine and no warning lights or OBD codes. But when selecting gear and trying to drive nothing happens, but there is a noise which sounds like biting/whining noise.

I'm ***uming clutch or gearbox related.

Any pointers would be much appreciated

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

^^x2 or the clutch.
Honda from what i know does not suffer for gearbox faliures

Jan Accord said:
^^x2 or the clutch.
Honda from what i know does not suffer for gearbox faliures
I wondered about the clutch, but there have been no signs of it failing before now. I haven't noticed any slip and the pedal feels as firm as it did before.

If a driveshaft has become disengaged (or sheared) then the speedo will indicate when a forward gear is engaged and the clutch released.

Or - with the engine off - you could just have a good look at the driveshafts to see if a break/disconnect is obvious.

Or you could break it for spares and I'll have the engine for my dead Accord (or you could buy my dead Accord, which has a perfect gearbox and driveshafts)

Stoobsy said:
If a driveshaft has become disengaged (or sheared) then the speedo will indicate when a forward gear is engaged and the clutch released.

Or - with the engine off - you could just have a good look at the driveshafts to see if a break/disconnect is obvious.

Or you could break it for spares and I'll have the engine for my dead Accord (or you could buy my dead Accord, which has a perfect gearbox and driveshafts)
OK. Could be driveshaft then, as the speedo does register when in gear. Curiously the speedo didn't register when being towed. Could this provide more evidence of driveshaft?

NathanH1984 said:
OK. Could be driveshaft then, as the speedo does register when in gear. Curiously the speedo didn't register when being towed. Could this provide more evidence of driveshaft?

Also just noticed that when in neutral and clutch pedal is released the speedo gives a reading (car not moving). Pressing the clutch then drops the speedo

No, if the DMF (or clutch) had failed, so was not transmitting rotation, then the gearbox would not rotate and the speedo wouldn't indicate.

It's a driveshaft issue, either sheared or disengaged, the last couple of posts from Nathan do confirm this. But academic if it's going to a garage for hands-on diagnosis.

A driveshaft is at least a cheaper repair than either a gearbox or a clutch!

Stoobsy said:
No, if the DMF (or clutch) had failed, so was not transmitting rotation, then the gearbox would not rotate and the speedo wouldn't indicate.

It's a driveshaft issue, either sheared or disengaged, the last couple of posts from Nathan do confirm this. But academic if it's going to a garage for hands-on diagnosis.

A driveshaft is at least a cheaper repair than either a gearbox or a clutch!
All helpful chaps, thanks for the pointers. Will follow up to let you know how it goes (fingers crossed it's not prohibitively expensive!)

Good call - but wouldn't there still be enough drive in the shaft that hasn't gone to move the car ?

Open dif. Once one shaft goes, all power goes to the broken shaft as there's no resistance on it. Same happened to me. One shaft snapped and car was completely motionless.

Driveshaft it was/is.
£230 lighter now [emoji856] although I should be thankful it could have been worse!

Cheers again
Nathan

You could mention before the purchase.
I have a brand new driveshafts at home for 1/3 of the price you paid

Jan Accord said:
You could mention before the purchase.
I have a brand new driveshafts at home for 1/3 of the price you paid
Kick a man when he's down... [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
Seriously though thanks for the offer, but I need the fix sorting as soon as possible so (on this occasion) didn't have time to shop for cheaper parts.

What brand is the driveshaft you have Jan?