What's new

Disconnecting SRS cable from clock spring (cable reel)

dandreye

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2L MT (CL7)
Hi All,

Can the following SRS cable connector be disconnected from the rear of the clock spring (cable reel) body at all?
https://ibb.co/n4BkXx

If so how the hell do I do it? Couldn't figure out a way of pulling it out in an easy way and must have damaged electrical connection after applying some force as the red SRS light is now on since that day.

Update: Just found this video that illustrates how to remove a similar yet larger connector at the front side of its body (apparently it goes in rather than out) - does a similar technique apply to the rear one in question?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7yHwD5Xze8

Many thanks in anticipation!

Just checked continuity on each of those 2 circuits w/o taking the clock spring apart and found no problems at all. Further research suggests the SRS light is still on 'cos I previously turned ignition on while the driver's airbag was disconnected, so ***uming it's just a historic warning left by now I'll try the SRS light reset procedure next. On my two previous Toyotas the SRS light would turn off as soon as I reconnected a previously disconnected airbag, so I was expecting the same from this Honda and was totally unaware it's different.

Probably more for the benefit of others reading later than the OP (I spent ages trying to find a description), note that we have the connector for the SRS reset procedure in a different place to the US. It is plugged into a blank socket at the back of the driver's side fusebox.

The procedure is as follows:
Pull off the panel underneath the steering wheel.
Find the 2-pin yellow connector block at the back of the driver’s side fuse box, towards the front of the car.
Using a shorting lead in the 2 pins:
-Short and hold the leads while you turn the ignition to on. The SRS Light will illuminate for a few seconds then go off.
-When the SRS Light goes off, within 4 seconds unshort the wires. The SRS Light will come back on.
-within 4 seconds Short and hold the wires again. The SRS Light will go off.
-When the SRS Light goes off, within 4 seconds unshort the wires. The SRS Light will blink twice.
-Turn the ignition off.
Start the engine as normal. The SRS Light should illuminate for a couple of seconds as normal and then go off.
Refit the panel