What's new

Tourer exhaust

tunstall

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord Tourer
The one-piece exhaust on my 2005 Accord Tourer will need replacing in the next few months. My local Honda dealer has quoted me £290.00 plus £54.00 fitting for the complete exhaust. This includes the pipework from front to back plus the rear silencer (the complete set), but minus the cat. With a cat it comes in at an eye-watering £1,600 plus!!!
A local exhaust company has quoted my £180.00 to build a mild steel exhaust - minus the rear silencer box. It depends on the state of the rear box as to whether it can be used with the new pipework - otherwise I will be looking to obtain a replacement rear box to go with the new pipework.

My question is - does anyone know if an after-market rear silencer is available that can be connected to the pipework?

As a matter of interest KlariusUK shows a complete exhaust to fit the engine code K20A6 (same as my Tourer) but the illustration does not look right.

Any advice gratefully received.

I went for Honda part in the end as I didn't have the time to leave my car with custom place as none were that local. Its great as its quiet and as the car was meant to be. Do you need the cat replacing?

I have a 2.4 tourer and I know there are back box only parts on ebay (think german brands) but they aren't cheap.

Tourer and saloon have different exhaust patterns so maybe that you were looking at one for the right engine but not the right body shape.

If it were me, I would get the honda part fitted, if you need a new cat, get a local place to weld in a cheaper cat.

I went OEM - you know it'll fit perfectly and it won't split a year or two later like aftermarket stainless ones sometimes do.

Your front flexi pipe might go soon as well.

Par for the course with a 13 year old car.

Well I've ordered a genuine Honda exhaust from the dealer in Stoke on Trent, plus the 3 bolts for attachment.

Also, recently I've become aware of a rattling sound coming from under the car. On investigation I've pinpointed the rattle to a broken metal cover that covers the underside of the cat. There is a similar item on the topside of the cat. A corner of the cover has broken and detached from the bolt holding it in place. I did think that I could probably make a temporary repair (using a cut off piece of a baked beans can!) but I've ordered this item from the dealer too. Now to get them fitted.

It’s an easy fit if your bolts are seized round the cat area like my was I found it easier to unbolt it from the down pipe

Same here, I undid my system where the downpipe joins the manifold. The cat bolts were so badly corroded on either side that it needed an angle grinder to get them off.

Further to my original post I purchased a genuine Honda exhaust for my Tourer (55 reg) and had it fitted by a local garage that I regularly use for MOT etc. After a week or so I noticed a slow drip of water from the rear silencer box - not from the rear pipe, but from the "front side" where the long pipe section is welded to the rear box. I dismissed it at the time but a week ago I noticed it again. I had only driven about half a mile to visit a friend and noticed a small patch of water on the dry concrete. On examination there was a definite drip of water dropping on to the ground. I contacted the Honda dealer that I bought the exhaust from and this morning took it in for the dealer mechanic to look at. I should add that the dealer is 20 miles from my home and I ***umed that any drips might have disappeared by then as the exhaust warmed up. When I bought the exhaust and transported it home (one benefit of the Tourer is that the complete exhaust fitted in) I was impressed with the quality of the exhaust - much better than an after-market item. However, seeing the drip of water I was concerned about corrosion affecting the rear box. The exhaust was duly examined at the Honda dealer and no sign of any drip of water. The explanation I've been given is that the exhaust will have a pin hole to allow any build of water to drain off - hence the drip. While I have accepted this I am nevertheless sceptical and would welcome any comments or experience that any Accord Tourer owners may have.

There will always be water in the exhaust as steam is one of the by products of combustion and this then condenses in the exhaust when you stop.

Whether there should be a pin hole in the exhaust to allow it to drain is a different matter !

Of course - the usual place that you see water is at the tail pipe, particularly when the car is first started. My concern is that the water is seeping from a pinhole in the weld either at the junction of the pipe to the rear box, or at a point in the rear oval shape of the silencer box. I did take photos of the drip and I showed these to the dealer. I will post some of these pics at some point.
I'm cynical enough (or just put it down to experience) to think that I'm being fobbed off as I'm sure the dealer does not want to exchange this exhaust for another new one.

As far as I know there is only one cat in the exhaust system- towards the front of the car.

If you look at the very bottom of the back box oval, just above the flange there will be a small hole only 2mm or so, this is punched in to allow condensate to drain rather than sitting inside the box rotting it, your dealer is correct.

Bounder said:
If you look at the very bottom of the back box oval, just above the flange there will be a small hole only 2mm or so, this is punched in to allow condensate to drain rather than sitting inside the box rotting it, your dealer is correct.
Every day is a school day !

Bounder thank you for that information. I am going to investigate further this morning with the Accord on ramps. This will give me a better view of just where the water drip is coming from. On first sight it certainly appears to be around the oval shape. So it's overall on and crawl under the car!

Ok - I've had the Tourer up on the ramps after taking it for a short spin - and not a drip of water to be seen! It's called Sod's Law! I've had a good inspection of the area of the rear box near the oval shape with the aid of a torch and I can't see any small holes. I don't know if weather conditions have any effect as it was very hot and sunny when I noticed the drip - today is cooler and overcast.

Whatever - I will keep an eye on it and many thanks to all. As Grayedout notes - "every day is a school day!"