What's new

Loss of power

Jay2018

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord
Hi everyone. First time posting to a forum so sorry if I get anything wrong. I have a 2005 accord cdti with 160000 miles which has intermittent power loss. I have noticed a sound which sounds like metal rattling (best way I can describe the sound) mainly heard during acceleration when pulling away, not as noticeable if I rev when in neutral. I'm not saying it isn't the timing chain however I had this changed less than a year ago. I have noticed when the car is behaving I have loads of power, a quiet tick over and can't hear the rattle as much. Also when I first got the car it use to throw out a lot of black smoke which stopped happening after a couple months of ownership, recently I have noticed if I floor it I get a reasonable amount of white smoke, but then no more smoke for about 20 miles of driving then I can make it smoke white again. The only check engine light I have had is related the solenoid valve getting stuck open intermittently. This led me to take apart the intake last weekend, which is very badly clogged up with a tar like substance and carbon. I cleaned up what I could, but need to get another tool to take the manifold off completely for a clean with I will be doing in the next week. Also I think my pressure plate and dmf need changing but don't think this is the issue. Any ideas?

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

Could be a chain or leaking injectors, both can sound surprisingly similar and white smoke suggests fuelling or MAF/EGR issues which is consistent with your blocked intake.

F6HAD said:
Could be a chain or leaking injectors, both can sound surprisingly similar and white smoke suggests fuelling or MAF/EGR issues which is consistent with your blocked intake.
I had the injectors resealed recently too as one of them had blowby. When i took some of the intake apart the sensor was all clogged up I cleaned it up best I could and also cleaned the flap, I just need to get the actual manifold off to clean it and also to clean out the egr. I can't see why the chain would be having issues it was changed roughly 9 months ago. Could the flywheel or turbo cause a rattling sound? Also the power loss is most noticeable when going uphill, I push the pedal to the floor and nothing happens sometimes the rpm will even drop and the boost pressure seems to be low when this happens. During the powerless I only manage to get a 8psi boost and that's flooring it around 3 to 4 thousand rpm other times I get loads of psi boost from around just 1 to 1.5 thousand rpm. Do these figures seem normal? I'm imaging the turbo and exhaust manifold are just as clogged as the intake is.

Sounds more like your egr is leaking causing the power drop. I can solve with our egr off solution if that's what it is. Try temporarily blanking it to see if the power loss problem resolves

F6HAD said:
Sounds more like your egr is leaking causing the power drop. I can solve with our egr off solution if that's what it is. Try temporarily blanking it to see if the power loss problem resolves
Can I blank it without it going into limp mode? I was thinking of getting the egr blanked after I've cleaned the intake.

It will go into limp mode yes but you'll know straight away before it does if the power and slow pedal response is solved.

F6HAD said:
It will go into limp mode yes but you'll know straight away before it does if the power and slow pedal response is solved.
Ok how much is it to get the egr remapped? And is it a normal remap i.e will I gain any horsepower from getting it done?

I'll drop you a PM.

Jay2018 said:
Ok how much is it to get the egr remapped? And is it a normal remap i.e will I gain any horsepower from getting it done?

Can highly recommend Fahad's EGR delete re-map. My car has never run so well !

Grayedout said:
Can highly recommend Fahad's EGR delete re-map. My car has never run so well !
Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to definitely be booking it in towards the end of April.