What's new

Reverse light not working, tried everything?!

PointMan

Members
Reaction score
Car
ATS CL9
Accord CL9 2006 Type-S.

I noticed a while ago that the reverse light didn't work.

I've replaced the bulb, the 7.5A fuse in the engine bay and now the reverse light switch on the gear box.

And it's still not working...

I tested the bulb and the bulb socket on the other side (where the fog light is), and the bulb and socket is working.

I don't know what to do. I can't pass the MOT without the reverse light.

Please help! What should I do? Have I missed anything?!

Regards
P-H

Jan Accord said:
Did you measured if you get 12V on the bulb when in reverse?
Thanks for the reply. No, I have not. I don't have a multi meter (and I don't know exactly how to use it, electricity has never been my strong side).

Also could be reverse switch under gear lever

Sent from my LG-K100 using Tapatalk

honda_saj said:
Also could be reverse switch under gear lever

Hmm... didn't think there was one, are you 100% sure there is one?

How else will car know you have selected reverse ?

honda_saj said:
How else will car know you have selected reverse ?

Because of the reverse switch on the gearbox itself that engages when the reverse gear is selected, the switch which I already replaced.

PointMan said:
Because of the reverse switch on the gearbox itself that engages when the reverse gear is selected, the switch which I already replaced.
As I said there has to be reverse switch either in gearbox or lever I am not sure on your model, but why did you just replace with out testing ?

Guesswork does not go down well I suggest a mechanic who can use a multimeter would be able check continuity and voltage a bad ground can ensure bulb will not light up as well

honda_saj said:
Guesswork does not go down well I suggest a mechanic who can use a multimeter would be able check continuity and voltage a bad ground can ensure bulb will not light up as well

I tested the bulb and socket on the fog light side, they worked.
I optically checked the fuse and it seemed ok, but I replaced it with a spare just to be sure.
That lead me to the switch. I found a video on YouTube where the reverse switch on the gearbox was bad. So I took a chance, it was really cheap and I ordered some other parts at the same time.

Fair enough but this does not eliminate bad ground or break in wire. I would start at fuse and measure 12v on both sides in relation to ground then ground in place car in reverse and check for 12v

As said above you need a multi metre and start at the reverse switch and then back to your light.
I have known in the past for new switches to be faulty.
Was it a genuine Honda part.

honda_saj said:
Fair enough but this does not eliminate bad ground or break in wire. I would start at fuse and measure 12v on both sides in relation to ground then ground in place car in reverse and check for 12v

True. I will do that.

brett said:
As said above you need a multi metre and start at the reverse switch and then back to your light.
I have known in the past for new switches to be faulty.
Was it a genuine Honda part.
No, it was a generic one. I'll see if I can find a working OEM one and test with that. I have a Tourer 2007 also, might steal that one :)

Did you resolve ?