What's new

Dpf

Pgadner203

Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord
Hi, can someone help me out please my Honda Accord tourer dpf light is on with an exclamation mark and have just change it about a year ago from the dealer now today the light has come up again and this is a lot of money to replace it again can anyone suggest any other solution, also have tried to drive it on a motor way but the light still on. Pls help thanks

I can't help with turning the light off, but if you've an underlying problem (e.g. burning oil or frequent short journeys) it'll come on again pretty quickly.

Hi.

Mine came on with the exclamation mark, no pre warning. A forced regen was carried out by Honda Lincoln this lasted for about 120 mile and came on again. Another free regen which lasted about 80 miles, at this point Honda wanted to change the DPF at £1200. Went to a Japanese Indi garage who quoted £1000 for a OEM DPF replacement, £800 non OEM both with 12 month warrenttee. The third option which I went for remove the DPF sent it away to be cleaned at £600 plus life time warrenntee-only pay labor for removal and fitting that was five months ago and about 3,000 miles with no issue.

It is my understanding that the cleaning company is part of the Euro car parts group and based in Glasgow.

John.

Do a search on the forum, this topic is covered comprehensively. There is a removal option too in addition to the above, but be mindful of the mot changes this year.

Hi smokingman please can you give me their contact I can call them may be they’ve got branch in Manchester please. Thanks

Hi Peter.

The garage was Ricardo Emiliano in Lincoln 01522 531735 and ask for Jason. Can you let me know how you get on?

John.

F6HAD said:
Do a search on the forum, this topic is covered comprehensively. There is a removal option too in addition to the above, but be mindful of the mot changes this year.
will these changes detect removals??

They're not introducing any new tests, it's still the same visual inspection. What is different is a lowering of the smoke limits. So cars that were previously getting through even though they were obviously smokey are going to struggle.

We've tested the idtec cars previously and the before and after tests are negligible for NOx and CO2 and that's under the current inspection. These engines are quite clean burning compared to other diesels.

Until they start testing under the new regs, it's hard to say what they'll actually pass or fail. I have a few mot tester friends and they're of mixed opinions. Even if the DPF is in the car, if it's blocked or stuck in regen mode the car could still fail.

I think we'll have to wait and see.

But surely the DPF controls particulate emissions and has very little effect upon CO or NOx anyway (the catalytic converter controls these pollutants)?

Yep that's correct and they have no real way of measuring particulates except a visual smoke test. So this is why I'm currently of the view that it will be down to individual testers discretion. If it's obviously a smoker then it's a fail.. if it's sort of smokey then who knows. And this is also where cars with the DPF still intact risk failure if they're clogged and stuck in regen.

It will be interesting to see what actually happens when they start testing in the new regs.