What's new

Rear brake knock

Netrocyn

Members
Reaction score
Car
2007 Accord Tourer
Last couple of days a worrying knocking has developed from the near side rear wheel of my tourer. It sounds like one knock per rotation but goes away when 1. turning right and 2. whenever the foot brake is applied. Its really quite loud.

The wheel/caliper isnt getting hot at all. I dont think the brakes are binding and it doesnt start making the noise until everything has warmed up.

Anyone ever experienced anything similar?

Have you recently had a tyre fitted? My friend had this and it was one of the weights they fitted to the inside of the wheel hitting the caliper..!

My rear anti roll bar bushes/ possibly links are getting replaced next week. Theyre noisey over bumps, but could a worn bush cause a knock everytime the wheel rotates and stop when the brake was applied?

Netrocyn said:
My rear anti roll bar bushes/ possibly links are getting replaced next week. Theyre noisey over bumps, but could a worn bush cause a knock everytime the wheel rotates and stop when the brake was applied?
No.

Netrocyn said:
As stated NO, but a good time to search the mystery out??

Netrocyn said:
Had a detailed look tonight after a long journey and everything was warmed up. Its a loose brake pad. What causes this?
If a brake pad is loose then I would be concerned the caliper is seized and not moving and hence not nipping the pad tight against the disk

Possibly although normally when a caliper seizes the piston doesn't retract so the pads stay in contact with the disc all the time causing a hot wheel.

It's a weird one - there should be a V-shaped spring pressing on the back of the calipers to stop movement - maybe yours got left off ?

If it's any consolation you're not alone - many Tourer owners suffer from the lousy rear brakes!

If you imagine the wheel dead in front of you with the caliper at 3 o clock the movement of the pad is up and down, theres no movement towards/ further from you.

I ***ume theres meant to be some retaining clip thats meant to stop this?

Yes there should be a metal shim top and bottom that the pad sits in. If they're missing you can buy a set on ebay for less than £10.

I have similar sounding problem and on my civic it turned out to be sliding pins pitted and not moving freely so I will be getting under mine beginning of next week...

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk