What's new

At times very stiff and sticky clutch pedal

blueagle

Members
Reaction score
Car
GT 2.2 i-CTDI
I hope someone would be able to guide me in the right direction! My car has developed a random fault for past week or two. At times the clutch pedal is very heavy and then when I press it to change the gear, the pedal stays down and I've to get my foot underneath it to bring it back up. But then it'll be fine and works as normal and the same might happen after some time. I noticed it the most when I drove to Birmingham on Saturday. During the 200 mile round trip I faced the sticky clutch problem at least 6/7 times.
I did some reading and suggestions are its either fluid (I couldn't find any clutch specific fluid) or master/slave cylinder.
Please help me narrow down my issue. Thank you :)

Have same issue on mine. Replaced both cylinders but second hand. Nothing. Waiting for new master to come then can tell you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigG sorry to hear that you're having the same issue.
Please let me know if new master cylinder fixes the problem.

blueagle said:
BigG sorry to hear that you're having the same issue.
Please let me know if new master cylinder fixes the problem.

Hi! Just done master and problem gone

blueagle said:
Glad to hear that!

So I'm ***uming in my case its more than likely the master cylinder that needs replacing?
check slave for leaking

I have the same problem and noticed that my clutch fluid level was a bit low. It's topped up now, but the problem is still there. I will get my mechanic to look at it next week when it is due for MOT.

Accord crappy master cylinder tried blueprint and that failed then I fitted k tune master and slave, and never looked back, the clutch pressure plate being warped adds extra load to clutch master cylinder and damages seal.

Sent from my LG-K100 using Tapatalk

blueagle said:
I hope someone would be able to guide me in the right direction! My car has developed a random fault for past week or two. At times the clutch pedal is very heavy and then when I press it to change the gear, the pedal stays down and I've to get my foot underneath it to bring it back up. But then it'll be fine and works as normal and the same might happen after some time. I noticed it the most when I drove to Birmingham on Saturday. During the 200 mile round trip I faced the sticky clutch problem at least 6/7 times.
I did some reading and suggestions are its either fluid (I couldn't find any clutch specific fluid) or master/slave cylinder.
Please help me narrow down my issue. Thank you :)
i had mine towed in three years ago. The fluid leaks past the master cylinder if you have your foot on the pedal for too long. Flush the oil through seems to sort it for a while

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

honda_saj said:
Accord crappy master cylinder tried blueprint and that failed then I fitted k tune master and slave, and never looked back, the clutch pressure plate being warped adds extra load to clutch master cylinder and damages seal.

my crappy master lasted 140000 miles before this problem. Not a big issue

chrisv said:
my crappy master lasted 140000 miles before this problem. Not a big issue

You may have had modified unit installed ?
Also your clutch pressure plate must have been in good condition

I fitted a new master cylinder (Borg & Beck) as the old one pushed the O-ring out mid-way between the bolts in the plate, bled it and first tread on the pedal the new one pushed the O-ring out...
Took the old one apart, there was a huge gap (nearly a mm) between plate and body - I've lapped the very obviously bowed plate flat, going to try substituting it for the plate on the new MC and hope the O-ring isn't to badly mangled! Wish me luck!

Anyone replacing theirs, remove the ventilation stepper motor (3 philips screws) and release its quadrant by taking out the screw and plastic domed washer thing, and the pedal sensor, 12mm deep socket on the end of 18"+ 1/4 extension can *just* be threaded in from the corner as high and left as you can get against the dash to reach the hidden nut.

Dave H. (the other one)