What's new

water temp gauge

Razva_tm

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.0i ES
Hello all you happy people,
I have a 99 2.0 accord SE, F20B6 and recently i started having problems with the water temp gauge.It would go to half after driving for a while and stopping.Ordered the temp sensor ,replaced it and now it`s worse.this morning i started the car and after 35 seconds according to the gauge the engine was already at operating temperature with no reving.Both hoses from the radiator were cold.After a few minutes(2,3 minutes) the needle was well over half,the top hose started to heat up a little bit,bottom hose cold.After another few minutes it was near red,started the AC ,the needle instantly went down 4 lines,started to climb a little bit ... the radiator is new,coolant level is ok and as i mentioned before temperature sensor is new.
And regarding the dash i had a few little problems that i did not take in consideration before :
- sometimes when i start the engine the speedometer acted weird, going from 0 directly to 25 to 40 to 60 kmph ,getting stuck there .i would stop the car and the needle still pointed to 50,60 or whatever speed i had,and from time to time "check vehicle speed senor" would appear on the navi screen(the mechanic checked it,it s good)
- illumination from the mileage and outside temp screen went off a few weeks ago and i thought the led was broken,yesterday went back on by itself.
I spoke with my mechanic and i will take the car on Tuesday for a check up but it`s driving me crazy and i can`t sleep because of this(i`m still thinking at blown head gasket and stuff) and in one week i`m leaving in holiday were a have a 1000 km drive.\

Thank you for reading my little story and pls pls pls give me some good news :)
Cheers guys!

Check you thermostat. I had to replace mine a couple of years ago.
Also notice that the engine has two water temperature sensors, one to control the engine, and another to control water temperature gauge.

I had a problem like this a couple of years ago, replaced the thermostat and all is now well.

My temperature sits between one third and halfway.

skhell said:
Check you thermostat. I had to replace mine a couple of years ago.
Also notice that the engine has two water temperature sensors, one to control the engine, and another to control water temperature gauge.
if the thermostat is busted the bottom hose is still supposed to heat up?and the water sensor with one wire was changed

If a number of sensors and senders start to misreport this could be the earth lead to the engine corroding. Try connecting a lead directly from the battery negative to the engine block and see if stuff starts to work better.

Earth to instrument cluster is also a suspect. Not sure where that one is though, but if its broken the cluster could be finding the path of least resistance via a send lead.

Richard B said:
If a number of sensors and senders start to misreport this could be the earth lead to the engine corroding. Try connecting a lead directly from the battery negative to the engine block and see if stuff starts to work better.

Earth to instrument cluster is also a suspect. Not sure where that one is though, but if its broken the cluster could be finding the path of least resistance via a send lead.
An earth lead was mostly broken ,it was hanging on 2 wires but it was fixed.after that the guys at the garage connected another ground from the battery to the engine block but the damn needle still was acting crazy :)) my hope is that the only thing broken is the gauge and it s not something serious.i wanted to buy a second hand instrument cluster but no luck,i`m 99% sure that i m the only one in my town that has a 2.0 automatic and on the web i found only one and that was from an UK car so... not good.last resort will be to buy an aftermarket gauge and hopefully problem solved