What's new

Can't insert disc into Sat Nav ROM drive. Blocked?

Tboy2000

Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord 2005
Just bought a 2005 Accord yesterday. The sat nav does not work but the touchscreen (radio/AC) does. Says the DVD disc is reading an error. I can't even insert the official sat nav disc in the rom drive as it seems like it's blocked. Just will not go in. So could there be another disc in there? Pressing eject gets the whirring noise but nothing happens. Would really like to fix it myself if possible. Please help. Thank you!

You'll have to pull the disc drive out and dismantle it. It's common for these disc drives to need their lens cleaning and so there are guides for removing and dismantling on the forum somewhere. That said, the pictures might be broken since the great Photobucket purge of 2017! It's honestly, not too big a deal though.

Pull up the trim around the gear stick, a good tug on it should do, or get yourself a trim removal tool. Pull out ashtray and you'll start seeing screws to undo. Once you've undone all the screws you can see around, below and behind the ashtray area I think it's between 3-5 screws, you will need to pull off the trim that covers the DVD rom drive. It's held on with the screws you've just undone and quite stiff metal clips at the top. These clips can be a pain to get undone, but essentially require a little brute force to pull the thing off. I'd suggest the aid of something plastic like a trim removal tool or a small spatula to help prise it away around the top. It's possible to damage the trim at this stage, so whilst you're being forceful, be a little careful how you go.

Once that's off, you need to undo 4 10mm bolts that hold the disc drive in. You'll need a socket for this as you won't get a spanner in the small space. And that's the disc drive out.

From here, you'll have to follow your nose on removing the DVD that's stuck in there as I simply can't remember enough about the disc drive to instruct on anything. But I've taken apart enough disc drives to know it's normally quite straight forward to get in them to sufficiently get a disc out.

***uming the disc is a normal disc, consider why it's jammed in there in the first place. Make sure things seem mechanically ok with it. If the disc has a sticky label on it or is an irregular disc of some sort (like a half size CD or something odd like that), then that's your answer as to why it got stuck.

Once you're done, test it before putting the plastic trim back on ;)

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Once I do this I will update on here to let you know what the situation is.

No problem.m. Good luck with it.