• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Name:Sean Nugent
  • Car :Honda Accord 2.2 EX
  • LocationBerkshire

Posted 17 August 2018 - 07:24 PM

All,

Does anyone have any experience of the serious LED replacement bulbs that Horizon LED sell. Anyone have any comments?

I have a Honda Accord 2012 2.2 iDTEC with came with standard bulbs

It immediately got upgraded to HID's in both the dipped and main beams (35W, 50W)

However the MOT rules have changed and the car may fail its next MOT.

I am not happy with standard bulbs and was considering whether or not LED's might be a useful compromise. I might go and have a word with the guy that normally does the MOT

But I was wondering if LED's have moved on enough to replace LED's in non-LED headlight units

Horizon seem to have multiple choices ranging from 3000 Lumens to 8000 Lumens. Of course it would help if I knew what my current kit was doing wouldn't it.

I have experimented with LED torches and whilst very bright they don't seem to throw the light well - which is my concern

Any thoughts?

Sean

Edited by NugentS, 17 August 2018 - 07:27 PM.

#2 Stevearcade

Stevearcade

TA Friend

• Super Moderators
  • 6,835 posts
  • Name:Steve
  • Car :2003 Accord CM2
  • LocationEastbourne

Posted 17 August 2018 - 10:21 PM

My main dipped beams are HID from factory, so couldn't comment on them. But I did a full LED conversion for the rest of the car with Horizon. Very satisfied. A couple of interior bulbs have blown, as did a rear registration light, but they're easy to fix and apart from that, all's good. The only odd thing is that since doing it, my lights can cause intermittent interference on medium wave radio stations. But, radio reception on the south coast where I am is pants anyway, so whatever...

My CM2 - Cold Air Intake with K&N Filter, Custom 2.5" Stainless Steel Exhaust, Reflashed ECU, Custom Made 8J Steelies from Extreme Offset, BC Racing Coilovers, Short Shifter, Type-R Gear Knob, XCarLink iPod Interface, Interior & Exterior LED Bulb Conversion, Wind Deflectors, Yellow Fog Lamps, JDM size plates, Type S Grill (with blacked out chrome), Front & Rear Type S Skirts.

#3 samlam34

samlam34

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Name:sam
  • Car :accord 2.2 type s
  • Locationlondon

Posted 20 August 2018 - 12:49 AM

I got philips 501 led bulbs on the front side lights and rear number plates.

i have them over 13months now and leave them on all the time because the led fogs are on always when i drive.

these bulbs in my opinion are the best as its 12year life.

each door light is also 501 led bulb type.

philips led are £15 for one pair (2 bulb) PACK.

I was willing to pay them premium for the longevity of never needing to change them during my ownership

the horizon bulbs sound like s**** cheap s****.

#4 Richard B

Richard B

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Name:Richard
  • Car :2006 Tourer
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 20 August 2018 - 05:05 AM

With side lights and other low watt applications it makes no difference what brand you use.  It's the headlights where the questions are.   There are a lot of claims by manufacturers and sellers, and by people who have bought LED headlight systems, but there aren't that many neutral, objective comparisons out there.

After reading a few reports I ended up buying some Osram Night breakers, while I wait for more objective info on whether to go HID or LED for headlights.

#5 NugentS

NugentS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Name:Sean Nugent
  • Car :Honda Accord 2.2 EX
  • LocationBerkshire

Posted 07 November 2018 - 10:03 PM

I tried contacting Horizon.

They were a waste of space entirely

Not sure who else to try

Sean

• honda_saj likes this

#6 smokingman

smokingman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Name:John
  • Car :Accord Tourer 2008/9
  • LocationLincoln

Posted 08 November 2018 - 08:07 AM

Hi Sean. Much like you I have been looking at LED head light and again no good reviews etc. I was looking at HID's but swap them out just before the MOT.