What's new

Lights, HID, LED, Standard

NugentS

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord 2.2 EX
All,

Does anyone have any experience of the serious LED replacement bulbs that Horizon LED sell. Anyone have any comments?
I have a Honda Accord 2012 2.2 iDTEC with came with standard bulbs
It immediately got upgraded to HID's in both the dipped and main beams (35W, 50W)

However the MOT rules have changed and the car may fail its next MOT.

I am not happy with standard bulbs and was considering whether or not LED's might be a useful compromise. I might go and have a word with the guy that normally does the MOT

But I was wondering if LED's have moved on enough to replace LED's in non-LED headlight units

Horizon seem to have multiple choices ranging from 3000 Lumens to 8000 Lumens. Of course it would help if I knew what my current kit was doing wouldn't it.
I have experimented with LED torches and whilst very bright they don't seem to throw the light well - which is my concern

Any thoughts?

Sean

My main dipped beams are HID from factory, so couldn't comment on them. But I did a full LED conversion for the rest of the car with Horizon. Very satisfied. A couple of interior bulbs have blown, as did a rear registration light, but they're easy to fix and apart from that, all's good. The only odd thing is that since doing it, my lights can cause intermittent interference on medium wave radio stations. But, radio reception on the south coast where I am is pants anyway, so whatever...

I got philips 501 led bulbs on the front side lights and rear number plates.

i have them over 13months now and leave them on all the time because the led fogs are on always when i drive.

these bulbs in my opinion are the best as its 12year life.

each door light is also 501 led bulb type.

philips led are £15 for one pair (2 bulb) PACK.

I was willing to pay them premium for the longevity of never needing to change them during my ownership

the horizon bulbs sound like **** cheap ****.

With side lights and other low watt applications it makes no difference what brand you use. It's the headlights where the questions are. There are a lot of claims by manufacturers and sellers, and by people who have bought LED headlight systems, but there aren't that many neutral, objective comparisons out there.

After reading a few reports I ended up buying some Osram Night breakers, while I wait for more objective info on whether to go HID or LED for headlights.

I tried contacting Horizon.
They were a waste of space entirely

Not sure who else to try

Sean

Hi Sean.

Much like you I have been looking at LED head light and again no good reviews etc. I was looking at HID's but swap them out just before the MOT.

smokingman said:
Hi Sean. Much like you I have been looking at LED head light and again no good reviews etc. I was looking at HID's but swap them out just before the MOT.
My MOT is due in a little > 1 month.

I plan on leaving the HID's in for the first attempt and see if they notice. I hate having to remove the bumper to change the bulbs. I use 35W in the dipped beams (projectors) and 55W in the main reflectors.
I am told that the light pattern from the projectors (dipped) is extremely good (so say the MOT guys from last year)

I was watching a whole string of US based YouTube clips about LEDs, projectors and Reflectors. Most were appalling, a few were fair, with very few good, but I get the impression that its very headlight dependent. Meaning I would have to buy lots to get a set that work properly and then test each and every set in a spare headlight unit (that I don't have) because you know - the bumper.

Sean

In my experience, providing you've got projector lights and headlight washers OR auto levelling headlights... the HID upgrade should be fine left fitted.