What's new

Cheap Satnav discs - Look genuine

Heckler

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord EX
I picked up a cheap 3.0C satnav disc from an ebay seller who claims they were genuine OEM discs and not copies... I paid £23

I was expecting it to be a knock off, and if it had been then I would have reported it as such and got a refund... But it looks genuine.

I can see no signs that it's a copy, the front face is printed exactly right, no dodgy spelling, no blurred edges around text that would show poor printing... and the colour match is as near perfect to my own original disc that's an earlier version. The playing surface shows no signs of it being a 'written' disc (you can tell if it's been written on DVDRW).

It's the 'West' disc of a two disc set... copies don't normally state that.

Been watching these on ebay with interest, especially as they claim to be 2018 maps, but was nervous of pulling the trigger. Does it scan and read ok?

Netrocyn said:
Been watching these on ebay with interest, especially as they claim to be 2018 maps, but was nervous of pulling the trigger. Does it scan and read ok?

I bought some 2011 V2 maps for my PFL tourer and that was immediately identified as fake. I tried it and noticed it took longer to download the data, and longer to boot up... Within a very short time, it took longer and longer each time. I switched back to the official disc and everything went back to normal. Boot times decreased and so forth.

This one performs exactly like the official 2007 disc in load times once the download had completed.