What's new

Ebay Brake discs? Anyone had a go with these?

nizman

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord
So im doing my rear wheel bearings (did one, realised it was the other one, so decided why not do both ha) and it is time also for my brakes to be done, I thought whilsts taking apart the rear for the bearings I might aswel change the discs and pads. Wanted something with a drilled/grooved look as Ive not had any before and found these, anyone taken a crack at these or have any idea if they will be any good?

front:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FRONT-DRILLED-GROOVED-300mm-BRAKE-DISCS-FOR-HONDA-ACCORD-2-0-2-4-2-2-CTDI-CRV/352200614257?hash=item5200cae171:g:rpQAAOSwcj1aFEFy:rk:10:pf:0

rear:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Accord-Saloon-2-2i-CDTi-04-08-Rear-Brake-Discs-Drilled-Grooved-Mtec-BlackEdition/300677774072?fits=Model%3AAccord&hash=item4601cabaf8:g:OocAAOSwdvpWEjMm:rk:9:pf:0

cheers!

I'm not a fan of drilled discs, I've seen far to many that crack around the holes and then fail... and a shattered disc is not something you want to experience.

Also you need to check if the grooves were cut before or after the discs were hardened... many of these are nothing more than cheap discs that have been slotted so they can double the price of them.

I've never heard of those brands... So you take your chances on the unknown.

I second that, Brakes are a safety critical part and drilled and/or grooves on a car are not needed or necessary.
You will get good performance by buying good quality discs and pads like Brembo or ATE , TRW and making sure the calipers are properly serviced and the fluid is fresh.
All that drilled holes and grooves do is to act as stress risers.

There used to be three reasons for having drilled discs, at least on a performance or race prepped vehicle

1) Greater surface area for heat removal (a lot of small diameter holes are required to make it worthwhile, ventilated discs make the whole process more or less redundant)
2) Better cut through of water/road dirt in poor weather (sintered pads make this redundant)
3) Unsprung weight saving (Newer wheel alloy and lighter cross ply designs make this redundant)