Not sure if I've ever posted here before, maybe once or twice, but I think it's time I made a list of all the different problems my car has had/still has in my year of ownership.
Went from a 2006 S2000 to a "one lady owner" 2008 Accord ES GT Tourer with 88,000 miles in a bid to get something less expensive to maintain/run and something a bit more 'sensible'.
Anyway, to the point, here is a list of the all problems (and fixes if applicable) in one place just in case somebody stumbles upon it when researching whether to buy one, or fix a problem.
- High Pressure Fuel Pump - Shattered itself to pieces a week after buying the car. There's no warning when this happens except a few seconds before the car dies, during which you can hear a very bad crunching noise, followed by the engine stalling. This failure can take out the camshaft with it as the pump is directly attached to it (or via cams, I cant remember). The suggested cause was, at some point, somebody ran the car with petrol instead of diesel in the tank. The fix was replace the pump, around £750 from PFJones.
- All four injectors - due the pump failing and spraying metal towards the injectors, they were sent off for cleaning but came back as unable to clean due to the amount of metal fillings/shards that had hit them. Repairing them was nearly as much as buying ones so, the fix was to buy 4 new injectors from PFJones - nearly £1000. Sold old injectors on eBay for £100.
- Tracking wildly out on one wheel - caused by worn ball joint. Fix - ball joint replaced and tracking re-done.
- Clutch pedal sticking to floor - clutch was still working but pedal would fall to floor more and more over time. Fix - Master cylinder replaced as well as slave (slave was notching).
- Traction Control Switched Off Permanently (little triangle with exclamation mark permanently lit on dash). Fix - replace brake light switch. The switch has two circuits running through it and the brake lights will still turn on as a fail-safe even if there is a problem with the traction control/abs circuit. My brake lights still worked so I didn't initially blame the brake light switch. The problem is not readable by an ODB scanner but does some sensor flags deep in the ECU.
- Air-con not working - re-gassed to no effect. No effect on revs when turned on. Potentially compressor, though still to investigate.
- Rear washer jet not working - Pipe possibly pinged off, still to investigate
- Front sidelights and headlights - Blown multiple times in my year of ownership, more than any other car I've owned. Potentially dodgy/old fuses, grounding strap bad, headlight vibration... Need to investigate.
- Windscreen/windshield trim has come unglued - No-recalls listed for my car currently so it was likely done at some point but it has re-appeared (well, the trim has fully come off today). Need to take to Honda really.
- Handbrake cable snapped - Only one handbrake cable connected (which will still hold the car fine on a hill), the other is stretched. To replace both estimated cost is £400 including parts. This is due to the complexity of the cable routing.
I think that's it for now. All in all I'm pretty disappointed with the car reliability wise but happy with it in pretty much every other way!
If anyone has any advice for some of the current problems listed I'll more than welcome your advice or fixes you can do yourself.
P.S. Sorry if this isn't the appropriate sub-forum, feel free to move it Mods!
Edited by Accord990, 12 November 2018 - 08:34 PM.