What's new

Tourer rear brakes again

Netrocyn

Members
Reaction score
Car
2007 Accord Tourer
Got a particular scraping noise from nearside rear when braking at low speeds. Not the squeal you ***ociate with a old disc indicator but still quite noisy. Caliper and pad both new in April.

Was wondering if they just need a clean but thought I ask if anyone had experienced anything similar?

Thanks

Does the noise change if you apply the handbrake whilst still moving?

My brakes on one occasion made a horrific noise without any advanced indication from the audible warning tag. Inspection showed sods law had come into play, the pad with the tag on still had plenty of meat on it but the other pad was down to bare metal.

Sounds like a seized piston or slider. Its a good plan to strip them down and use red rubber grease on the square seals and some rubber safe grease on the slider pins to avoid the pads sticking to the disc.

Sorry to hijack thread but what is the usual number of handbrake clicks for normal operation, seems I have to slightly over extend the handle (around 10 + clicks) for the handbrake to operate for me and even then it's binary on/off. Can the internal shoes be adjusted at the rear drum?

I think the official is 6-8 clicks and is more than you would expect from other cars.

Shoes should be self adjusting. The cable can be adjusted by removing the centre console.

Grayedout said:
I think the official is 6-8 clicks and is more than you would expect from other cars.

Shoes should be self adjusting. The cable can be adjusted by removing the centre console.
Tourer has manual adjustment, shoes inside drum, 6/8 clicks is best. The O.P. sounds like worn out pads most likely uneven i.e out side good but the inside knackered, as suggested strip down renew all parts, also I had blocked flexible's adding to my problem.

Parking Brake Check and Adjustment

Check

Pull the parking brake lever (A) with 196 N (20 kgf, 44 lbf) of force to fully apply the parking brake. The parking brake lever should be locked within the specified number of clicks (B).

Lever locked clicks:

8-10

AB

Adjust the parking brake if the lever clicks are not within the specification.

NOTE: Minor parking brake lever adjustments (1-2 clicks) can be made with the adjusting nut in the equalizer. If a larger adjustment is required, follow the major adjustment procedure using the adjuster at the parking brake drum.
After installing new parking brake shoes and/or new rear brake disc/drums, make sure you drive the vehicle for ‘‘break-in''.

Minor Adjustment

Raise the rear of the vehicle, and support it with safety stands in the proper locations.

Release the parking brake lever fully.

Remove the center console.

Pull the parking brake lever one click.

Tighten the adjusting nut (A) until the parking brakes drag slightly when the rear wheels are turned.

A

Release the parking brake lever fully, and check that the parking brakes do not drag when the rear wheels are turned. Readjust if necessary.

Make sure the parking brakes are fully applied when the parking brake lever is pulled all the way.

Install the center console.

Major Adjustment (to be done when replacing parking brake shoes and after lining surface break-in)

Raise the rear of the vehicle, and support it with safety stands in the proper locations.

Release the parking brake lever fully.

Remove the center console.

Back off the adjusting nut (A) in the equalizer.

A

Remove the rear wheels.

Remove the access plug (A).

CDAB

Turn the ratchet teeth (B) on the adjuster ***embly (C) with a flat-tip screwdriver (D) until the shoes lock against the drum. Then back off the adjuster eight clicks, and install the access plug.

Do the minor adjustment procedure.

Install the rear wheels.

Install the center console.

Sorry no pictures, ???? remove wheel and find a rubber blanking plug in hub, remove and find star ratchet, flick with flat screw driver to lock the brake the let off 2/3/ clicks. Occasionally drive a short distance with hand brake on, "she will shout at you" but it helps to keep the surfaces rust free.

SOLVED.Just dirty brakes. Strip down, clean and rebuild has got rid of most of the noise which has left me quite surprised. Ive had stones and grit in the brakes before but that made a massive constant noise without applying the brakes.

Anyway pads disc and caliper all ok, a relief considering how bad it sounded.

If its vulnerable to this sort of thing it looks like it's going to need to be done a couple of times a year

Thanks all for responses

Do you ever do a running brake test? i.e quiet road 30 mph slam them on! helps to clear lots of muck and ***ures you that you wil stop if needed.

Put in a genuine Honda set of pads and see what happens. Is the noise from just one side or both? Any scorching marcks on the discs?

The discs clean up after a run theres no unusual marks. Its going back into the garage tomorrow because its got worse. Its now escalated to a big 'clink' for every rotation when braking at slow speeds.

Bounder said:
Sounds like a seized piston or slider. Its a good plan to strip them down and use red rubber grease on the square seals and some rubber safe grease on the slider pins to avoid the pads sticking to the disc.
good advice here take note