What's new

front caliper clearance - help!

Swallow

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord mk7 ctdi ex
Hi one and all - every year I fit winter wheels and tyres to my car. Usually bought on fleabay second hand in the summer.

This year I have a set of Civic 16" x 6.5J ET 55 steel wheels to go on. They should fit by all accounts & they do fit.

HOWEVER - front brake caliper clearance to the rear of the rim is very close - probably about 1 - 1.5mm. They spin fine, no rubbing but this does seem pretty close?

Hopefully some one can advise, either that this is fine/normal or not?

Cheers, Tom

I had the same on mine when I bought a set of steelies, they were very close but didn't touch just be careful that the balance weights don't foul them.
If you are still worried then you can buy a set of thin spacers 5mm or so and use them on the inside of the wheels to give more clearance.

Cheers - I am sure that from an engineering point of view the current clearance is fine but it looks/feels unsettlingly close! I have just ordered some solid 3mm spacers for the front. I ran an identical set of steels on the car a couple of winters ago and obviously didn't notice the tight clearance - and had no issues. It's just that I have spotted it now..