What's new

Crazy electrics

block

Members
Reaction score
Car
56 Ex diesel saloon
Hi all.

Had a strange day in the car today. First of all, this morning I noticed an almost undetectable whining sound, so faint I almost wasn't sure it was even there. Then this evening the whine was definitely louder. This sounded similar to the screen washer pump. Then the big one, driving home and the VSA and SRS amber warning light flickered on and off for a few seconds, before everything on the dash went off. Rev counter, speedo, temp gauges, radio, clock and heating system. The headlights also downgraded themselves, main beam became dipped beam, and dipped beam became side lights. The only thing that remained working was the backlights on the dashboard.
So please, anyone have any ideas????

Many thanks.

Alternator gone bad is my guess.
Bearings make whining noises as they fail.

Thanks Huan.
I've just read the diy alternator swap on here. Looks fiddly but doable. Any ways I can confirm this is the fault before I commit to it? I'm going to research it now.

Cheers

The alternator is the only thing that charges the battery, check with a multimeter across the terminals and then start the car (if there is enough remaining) and if it remains at the same level then the alternator is either duff, or disconnected from the loom..

I would also check there is no damp/water in the fuse box(es) and all earth straps between engine and chassis are present and correct before spending money on replacement

Just on that point, its a good idea to periodically remove any earth straps and clean under the connection and then remake the connection and cover with dielectric grease or failing that vaseline.
I know some people have fitted extra earth straps to the negative terminal and made additional earthing points in the engine bay.
Bad earths can give funny behaviour in electrics and its a belt and braces type solution.

Thanks guys.
I ended up taking it to the local honda garage, it was indeed the alternator. I looked at doing it myself, but decided doing it in the rain wasnt going to be easy.

Thanks for the input.