What's new

Rear brake replacement issue...urgent

davbar1986

Members
Reaction score
Car
2007 2.2 sport gt
Hi all,

I went to change my rear discs and pads as i can hear a scraping noise from the r/o/s brake and the pads look low. Desptie my best efforts i couldn't get the caliper off (sane side noise is coming from). Never had an issue last time i changed them but this time it would not come away from the disc, even with a prybar. It moved abit but was really binding.

Does it sound like the caliper is knackered or have i missed something?

I need to drive to Gatwick on wednesday for a holiday and need to know whether to rebook the airport parking in my wifes car. Thanks in advance

Edit: no the handbrake was not on lol

If your replacing the disks and pads anyway then force a screwdriver between pads and disk and lever the piston back a bit. Take the cap off the master cylinder first and watch out for it overflowing.

As long as you've removed both caliper bolts then you haven't missed anything. If the caliper piston has seized which they frequently do on the Tourer then you need a replacement - reconditioned ones are £70-odd. If it's so seized the piston won't retract at all when you lever it as Graham has suggested then a big hammer will get it off eventually.

Change the airport parking and order the caliper from https://www.brakesint.co.uk on next day delvery so it's there for when you get back. You'll also need copper banjo bolt washers off eBay. You don't lose much brake fluid so don't worry about that but it will need a very quick bleed of the new caliper of course.

Loosen the bleed valve on the caliper whilst pushing back the caliper. If no fluid comes out when loosening the bleed valve on the caliper remove it completely and make sure its clean. Blow out any rubbish stuck in the bleed valve using an airline - with the valve off the caliper obsviously. Might also be the brake hose collapsing casunig the brake fluid to become contaminated and seizing - but is also likely the caliper piston has seized.

guys just saw this but seems like you had it covered the slider pins get stuck common on tourer, i strip mine down about every 6 months, clean and re grease has saved me spending out for reconditioned calipers which i did when they first seized up