What's new

Tailgate creaking

Accordial

Members
Reaction score
Car
2005 2.2 D Tourer
When the tailgate of my tourer opens it creaks horribly for the first little bit - this is a new thing as of last week. Does it need oiling, will it carry on like that for ages, or is it about to give up? If the latter, is it (practically, given the car is worth peanuts) fixable?

Thanks

My boot lid has been creaking something fierce since the weather has turned cold. I've just popped out and polished up the shafts on the struts and the noise has gone!

I'll swear (a long time ago) there was an excellent thread with pictures about tailgate struts. Possibly to do with less expensive aftermarket ones. Or fixing the electric open on the EX. I forget now.

The guy had the boot lid propped open with a piece of timber whilst he worked.

I've been looking for the last 15 minutes and can't find it. I thought I'd kept a copy (my 7th Gen struts were very weak, and I'd planned to look at them but never actually got round to it) but I can't find that either. Sorry.

There are many awesome threads for DIY repairs, but photo bucket nuked them all with it's pay to have your pictured hosted as an embedded imaged scheme. Totally wiped out thousands of internet forums everywhere. I believe if you click on the pictures in question, it should lead you to the photo bucket account of the pictures, they just don't show up on the forum.

Suffice to say, I think the 7th gen tourer strut replace (or clean) isn't too bad of a job. Get yourself a plastic, trim removal tool off eBay for a few quid and start pulling away the trim around the boot opening, where the hinges are. I expect it's pretty self explanatory once you get in there as unlike an engine bay or dashboard, there shouldn't be a lot of other things and/or tech in that area. Just the struts and maybe a wiring loom for the rear lights. Might want a long plank or something to prop the boot lid open while you're removing the struts though. Worth trying a good clean/polish of the struts before committing to replacing though. As it might just be build up crud causing the issue, as opposed to them actually failing.

Matt said:
I'll swear (a long time ago) there was an excellent thread with pictures about tailgate struts. Possibly to do with less expensive aftermarket ones. Or fixing the electric open on the EX. I forget now.

The guy had the boot lid propped open with a piece of timber whilst he worked.

I've been looking for the last 15 minutes and can't find it. I thought I'd kept a copy (my 7th Gen struts were very weak, and I'd planned to look at them but never actually got round to it) but I can't find that either. Sorry.
What's your e-mail address I have it?