What's new

Has anyone got experience in silicone blades?

Economic

Members
Reaction score
Car
54 plate 2.2 CTDI ex
Hi guys.

I watched this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpdgahDp2Wg and it said that silicone are better, and it explains why you can't find them in stores.

Does anyone have any experience who can confirm/deny these claims?

Thanks.

I've bought coloured ones, which I presumed were silicone. They were pretty but didn't exhibit any outstanding features I remember. It's been a few years.

I bought a bulk supply of standard rubber inserts last year, but to my disdain they don't glide well and are noisy and scrapey. They look and feel identical to whatever was on the car before, so it has altered my confidence in selecting a good blade from a store. Apart from just buying the most expensive I suppose. If I could back off the tension on the wiper arm arms a bit I think my blades would "flop" better.

Bosch aerotwin are very good blades and can be found cheaply if you search around the car parts suppliers, I am sure the PIAA stuff is good but it is pricey.
I might give a set a go next time if I am feeling flush!

Call me eccentric, but I think of the consumable bit of the wiper as the rubber scraper only, so that is what I replaced. The backing is a Bosch aero shape.

It's not hard to replace the rubbers in these fittings. Bosch hasn't resorted to gluing them in .. yet.

If I find a decent quality rubber extrusion, I'm just going to buy a 100m roll or something.

Maybe in Oz the rubber is the only consumable, but here in Europe the whole wiper actually wears, the little pins that hold the wiper to the arm wear and ovalise over time reducing wiper efficiency.
Honda actually list the rubber blade as replaceable part but I have found the refills to be less effective than the entire wiper.
7th Gen FL part numbers are:

375mm 76632-SEA-J11

650mm 76622-SEA-J11

Iv never tried the silicone ones, I always use to buy Bosch Aeroflot but one day my mate told me to try the cheaper ones from screwfix, they are very good and cheap...Iv also heard you can use aerospace protectant which prolongs the life of the rubber on wipers