What's new

Water leak causing boot to think it’s open?

therolfie

Members
Reaction score
Car
accord CDTI Touring
Hi all,
57 plate tourer with roof rails owned for 8 years new battery fitted today

Issue that I have is the alarm keeps going off, linked to when it rains
Water can be seen along with wet headlining on the near side just after the boot light which makes a puddle on my plastic boot liner.

In the past I removed the roof rails and re-sealed the rails, resulted in all good for 6 years. Then again having puddles, so re-sealed but now have the alarm issue.

I can’t see where any water is getting to wires?

I have run out of ideas to try so any help gratefully received, I have tried many of the ideas on here, reset the tailgate, left the negative battery off for a while.

Car won’t lock from key as it thinks the boot is open as shown on the dash
Car will lock from opening the door and pressing button to lock

Located in West Somerset

Cheers

Update

Today took the tailgate panel off, all dry and no signs of water or wires damaged.

Question, what is the black square unit that is seated on the near side behind the plastic trim with x two wires?

Also how do the tailgate sensors work, there are no wires?

Any ideas?

Car will now lock from the key but after 10-20 mins the alarm goes off thinking the tailgate has been opened?

I can't remember all the details just now, but do a search for 'sounder'. I seem to recall something to do with the battery / sounder near the back wheel arch (in the tourer) that was alarm related and wasn't uncommon for causing problems.

I had spurious alarms just the once (that was an embarrassing drive home :blush: ) taking the battery off for a bit and reconnecting it cleared it and it never came back. Makes me wonder if your battery swap has more to do with the issue that water ingress (I fitted a new battery with no issues at all at a later date).

Update two

After stripping the rear off side by the sub I found a white connector block, when taken apart was obvious this had been wet. I gave this a good clean with contact cleaner then wrapped it in self sticking waterproof tape and moved it closer to the boot, higher away from any water that may have come in through the roof rails.

Been fine ever since, but also had no rain. Only time will tell.

I had an issue with the rear wiper not turning off at one point and this was probably caused by the same block.