What's new

7th gen Accord icdti diesel acceleration stutter

nige93

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord Tourer
Hi my accord has started stuttering at low speeds on very partial throttle around 20-30mph in 2nd and 3rd. This has been going on for a few weeks. Also it cut out not long ago and the vsa/warning light came on and wouldn't rev at all with the throttle. The AA had to clear the fault to get it off the motorway but then has been driving fine ever since.

So I've done some research and theres been a lot of suggestions for egr valve or the position sensor. Has anyone ever come across the solution?

I have also changed the FF to a genuine Honda one in the past week.

Cheers nige

Since the faults have been cleared from the memory it is going to be difficult to find out until it happens again.

Limp mode means just that, you can still drive the car (accelerating using the gears rather than throttle, not sure how it works on an auto though) I've not had my tourer get stuck when the lights come on.

Top speed is a sedate 45 in 5th gear though.

Cheers. So I'm trying to diagnose the accelerator stutter, I'm going to try and clean the egr and the accelerator opposition sensor see if that does anything.

Hmmm no I didn't. This problem has existed since before I changed the filter but will give it a try. Do I bleed it by loosening the bolt on top of the filter by any chance?

Thanks

nige93 said:
Hmmm no I didn't. This problem has existed since before I changed the filter but will give it a try. Do I bleed it by loosening the bolt on top of the filter by any chance?

Thanks
Yes and there's a manual fuel pump nearby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e07tyb6rC74

I didn't read your post properly but I thought that if the stutter was originally caused by the old fuel filter then when you changed it without bleeding you would still suffer from fuel starvation issues but that wouldn't throw up the VSA warning light. As suggested you need to know what the error codes are otherwise you're ****ing in the wind.

If the AA really can claim to be the 4th emergency service then their report will have codes held before their recovery driver cleared them down.

Ask for a full report on the breakdown.

Why did you stop by the way ?

Vsa light is the giveaway here it’s your accelerator pedal position sensor

Funnily enough my car came to halt before I managed to get off works site with the same issue!! Luckily I had my obd2 reader so I was able to get the codes and clear them so I was able to drive home.

I know it's not the right way to do it but I work 60miles away so needed to get home but here we go:

Error codes
P1248
P2138
P1065

I know the first two a to do with throttle position sensor. After a quick search last one is fuel filter?

So for the mean time I picked up some electrical contact spray and going to split the TPS and bleed the filter. Probs get a used TPS on order or bite the bullet and spent £240 on a new Honda one from Cox. Will decide tonight!

A fuel problem is going to bring up the engine warning light as well as the VSA , though I would have to check the manual to be sure.

You might have more than one issue, which is not uncommon with a 15 year old car.

Just like to say thanks for the replies as well guys!

I have read through the manual and it doesn't say fuel problems will bring up the VSA lamp however it can bring up the warning triangle. But that's a bout it really. I've bled the FF but done 500 miles on the new filter and tried electrical contact spray on the tps and a clean but ongoing to start with that it think and bite the bullet and order a new one. See what happens.

If you have not had the same dashboard lights come up, or the car go into limp mode since the AA cleared it down I don't think buying stuff is going to ***ist nail down the actual trouble

I'm at the London end of the M3 if you are in need of an OBD2 plug in.

Fuel problem won’t bring up the vsa light but it will trigger the glow plug light to flash guys.

Just remembered (it was a long time ago)

Whilst the TPS is bolted to the bulkhead just behind the front nearside suspension, the wiring loom is strapped to the housing for the fuel filter, which in turn is on its own suspension unit. On my tourer (155k miles) the rubber is showing its age and the whole filter ***embly vibrates when the engine is running which may (on yours) be putting a strain on the loom as it runs up to the sensor.

The loom can be pulled - carefully - through the straps holding it in a couple of places to the TPS and filter plates, giving it a bit more free play, or it might be something got dislodged when the filter was last changed.

Ordered a new tps from holdcroft just to be on the safe side! But just done a trip up to Scotland which is a few hundred miles and it ran fine

Not that I do many long trips but same, only the town commutes showed up the issue previously.

I would ***ume if I'm using cruise control on a motorway then the foot (of the nut behind the wheel ) position is not registered by the TPS, so the tourer brain gets no reason to throw a wobbly.

I do quite a few long trips especially with the amount of commuting I do so want it to be right. The sensor has arrived so will get that fitted soon!

Understood, but alternating between using cruise control and not on a long straight run might confirm the TPS, or vibration.

If you do fit a new one and it cures all ills I would be interested in dismantling the old one, just to see what actually fails.

It's annoying because since I've cleared the codes and sprayed electrical connection spray it's worked fine. But still going to put the new one on.

However new problem now. The electric tailgate has now stopped working from the key or the handle!

Most likely broken wiring in the loom where the tailgate hinges

Cheers I've stripped all of the card from the boot interior and will start poking around and the new tps is on

Cheers I've stripped all of the card from the boot interior and will start poking around and the new tps is on

Cheers Fahad L/H hinge loom had a snapped wire. Soldered in some wire with extra length and all working as should now. 2 things sorted today.