What's new

Honda CR-V vs Audi Q5

blueagle

Members
Reaction score
Car
GT 2.2 i-CTDI
I'm looking to buy a new car and can't decide between these two.
Main requirements are it should accommodate 2 adults + 3 children. Oldest child is out of the seat, the second one should be out of seat in less than a year whereas the third one is only 2. Need decent sized boot space, comfortable and reliable. I don't change my cars often (I've had current Honda Accord for over 9 years).
Either would be auto and diesel. Budget is between £20k - £25k. A 2 years old, low mileage CR-V is almost £5k cheaper than like for like Q5.
My head says CR-V but heart says Q5! I've always liked Audis but never owned one. :)
CR-V plus point for me:
Lots of space at the rear and flat floor would mean no complaints from kids
Bigger boot
Long term reliability should be better
Auto gearbox has lots of good reviews.
Q5 plus points:
It looks nice inside out.
Premium feel inside with lovely interior and tech
Wife likes it

Not sure if it is valid for the Q5, but Audi have this annoyinng habit of charging almost weeks wages for battery checks and replacements.

The last one I worked on had the battery under the passenger seat that requires removing lots of stuff just to get to the terminals. This was just to get the car out of the underground car park and onto the trailer.

Once it had been dropped to the dealer they charge him the best part of £600 for a new battery, fitting and recoding, even though the seat retainers had already been removed and stored in the footwell.

2016 onwards X3 M sport Auto is a better proposition all round. I’m considering the same for my mrs.

F6HAD said:
2016 onwards X3 M sport Auto is a better proposition all round. I’m considering the same for my mrs.
Hey Fahad, glad to hear from you after quite some time!
I'm not hearing/reading good things about Audi DSG auto gear box so might rule it out. X3 is not a bad option at all. Are you considering petrol/auto or diesel/auto?

Diesel auto, lovely gearbox and just a nice quality car all round. Not an immediate purchase just thinking what to replace the FRV with eventually.

I bought Honda CR-V at the end yesterday and couldn't be happier. I did a lot of searching and at the end decided to go for another Honda and no reason NOT to. I still have my 12+ years old Accord diesel, done 160k miles and going strong.
This is what I got:
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201901234224521?advertising-location=at_cars&year-from=2016&postcode=sl18bz&model=CR-V&sort=price-asc&make=HONDA&price-from=17000&price-to=25000&radius=1500&transmission=Automatic&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&page=2&modal=photos

Compared to my local Honda dealer, this one was as friendly as I could expect a dealer to be. The guys went out of their way to prepare the car ahead of my arrival on Sunday and despite some payment snags, they let me drive off the car on Sunday which saved me another 4+ hours of return journey.

Does anyone know of a good Honda CR-V forum like this one? Which I could use to learn more about my new shiny toy :)

Hi blue eagle. Which CRV did you get in the end. I’m looking at a 2010 CRV auto diesel. Dithering over it.