What's new

Clutch pedal stuck

1979mwa

Reaction score
Car
2004 2.2cdti
Hi,

Looking for some advice please about a fault with the clutch on my 2004 Diesel. When moving off from stationary or manoeuvring at low speed the clutch pedal is getting stuck at the bottom of its travel. Unfortunately when it happens the bite point also seems to move to the bottom of the travel too so the car is essentially stuck in gear. To free it I either have to get my foot under the pedal and pull it up, if there's room for the car to keep moving, or turn the engine off and then I can shift back to neutral.

I have taken it to our local garage and they changed the slave cylinder, topped up the clutch fluid, bled the system and charged me £180 for the privilege. Unfortunately the fault is still present though! I picked it up after the garage had shut so I haven't had a chance to ask why they changed the slave but does it sound like a reasonable thing to try? Will be going back in on Monday but was looking for some more ideas as to what it could be please?

Many thanks in advance

Mike

Usually this type of issue points towards the slave cylinder which has already been replaced.
Maybe they havent bled the system properly?

You say you picked the car up after the work was done? Did you not test the car before paying the garage and driving off or was it ok and the issue occurred shortly after.

It could be a master cylinder issue? I have heard sometimes once the slave goes the master can fail afterwards but only from threads I have read.
How is the clutch on the car? Has it been changed recently or is it on its way out? Does it slip?

Thanks for the reply. I picked the car up after the garage had shut so haven't paid for the work yet. To be honest it felt ok initially, and then the problem started to reoccur. The invoice does say they bled the system but from what I've read it can be quite tricky to get all the air out? When I checked the clutch fluid in the reservoir under the bonnet it did look fairly dirty. Would it be worth draining, flushing and starting again with fresh before changing the master cylinder, which is what I think they'll suggest next.... Just trying to avoid paying for an expensive fishing trip!

Is changing the fluid completely fairly simple? I'm no mechanic but my Dad is fairly good with classics, just avoids modern engines and electronics if he can!

Thank you very much for your help

Ps car is on about 160k, have not changed the clutch in my ownership or seen any paperwork to know if it's been done in the past. Having said that, never noticed any slipping or problems