What's new

SRS & FLAT BATTERY.

C J Jones

Members
Reaction score
Car
CG8 1.8is
After reinstalling my drivers seat when doing my Auto to Manual swap...2001 CG8 1.8 is...my SRS light would not go out...ignored it...after a few days the battery was flat...checked bat. all OK. reset the SRS light & eveything been good for 6 months...the other day the SRS light came on...now a few days latter the battery is flat... I check the battery & it,s reading 7.5 volts...the battery is new...any idea,s.

A battery at 7.5volts might be goosed, new or not :(

I've just had a new battery on myself. It's not been starting quite right for a few days. I was sat at the front of the house with the ignition on (ii) but the engine stopped for about 5 minutes, and I started getting all kinds of lights flashing up including VSA, ABS etc. My heart sank.

Then when I came to move the car it wouldn't start.

Nothing.

Not even a click.

I measured the battery at about 9v. I put in on change over night and it came good enough to get me to work. I took the multimeter to keep an eye on it and it never made it above 12.1V (off charge). So I called for a new battery on my way home and it's been right since. Can't complain, the old one did stirling service for 100K miles.

In short, your SRS light may be in response to low battery voltage, rather than causing it.

I'd start with cleaning battery terminals, checking you're charging on alternator and checking for parasitic drain when the car's off.

Your flat battery will not be caused by the SRS.

The SRS light is likely to just a low battery.
Note SRS Fault Codes 5-1, 5-2, 5-3, 5-4, 5-5, 6-1, 6-2, 6-3, 6-4, 7-1, 7-2. 7-3, 8-1, 8-2, 8-3, 8-4, 8-5 & 8-6: Internal Failure Of SRS or Supplemental Restraint System Unit.
Check Battery System Voltage, If Voltage Is Low, Repair 12 volt power or VSS feed circuit Prior To Troubleshooting SRS or Supplemental Restraint System.