What's new

Accord High Pressure Power Steering Hose

accord_n22

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord I-CTDI
Hi Guys,

Just a quick one, the Accord has developed a slight leak on the high pressure power steering hose.
Seems its quite a common issue on Honda's when they get bit older.

It has began to sweep just where the anchor point is on the top rubber hose section.

A new one from Honda is an eye watering £300, but after market can be had for around £20 to £35 ish.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PAS-Power-steering-pipe-pressure-hose-for-Honda-Accord-2-2-diesel-02-07-CDTi/173118725494?fits=Model%3AAccord&hash=item284eae1d76:g:y7AAAOSwZfNaaJvb
Or any other recommendations?

Has anyone had any experience with the after market ones, or would it be best to go genuine?

I am feeling to take a punt on the after market ones as it is just a hose? lol.
From experience though, cheap after market parts just dont fit well or last very long but spending £300 on a hose is crazy.

Cheers Guys

Hi, I had a leak on the power steering cooling pipe this past month, in fact it had 3 leaks! Anyway I think a new pipe is around £150! I decided to diy it. Although £30 for a new pipe may be the best option as it's the high pressure. This might help someone in need though.
I bought fixx it tape and jubilee clips, it worked a treat, don't use self amalgamating tape it melts. Would this diy work on high pressure pipe? I would definitely try it if it's a small split and you can get tape to either side of it with a jubilee on top. Fixx it tape is the dogs nuts, worth £6 quid. Can withstand very high pressure and very hot fluid up to 260c. It's military grade stuff I believe.

Hi, I had a leak on the power steering cooling pipe this past month, in fact it had 3 leaks! Anyway I think a new pipe is around £150! I decided to diy it. Although £30 for a new pipe may be the best option as it's the high pressure. This might help someone in need though.
I bought fixx it tape and jubilee clips, it worked a treat, don't use self amalgamating tape it melts. Would this diy work on high pressure pipe? I would definitely try it if it's a small split and you can get tape to either side of it with a jubilee on top. Fixx it tape is the dogs nuts, worth £6 quid. Can withstand very high pressure and very hot fluid up to 260c. It's military grade stuff I believe.
Thanks Rob, haha, Snap! My cooler pipe also perished earlier in Jan and was rusted to death.
I actually treated the car to a genuine part and thought that was the end of that. Apparently not - lol
Cheers for the advise, Ive heard of the fix it tape - indeed very strong stuff but intended for temp fixes i think but might be worth a punt to see if it seals it for now.

accord_n22 said:
Thanks Rob, haha, Snap! My cooler pipe also perished earlier in Jan and was rusted to death.
I actually treated the car to a genuine part and thought that was the end of that. Apparently not - lol
Cheers for the advise, Ive heard of the fix it tape - indeed very strong stuff but intended for temp fixes i think but might be worth a punt to see if it seals it for now.
It's been on the first leak for over 2 months without any problems, it's sealed it up as far as I'm concerned. I've done another two this past month no problems. It's remained stable and secure.
That fluid is extremely hot as well. The key is to use a jubilee clip or clips above the split over the tape, do them up fairly tight but not overly. The tape has to be stretched and overlapped as it's wound round the pipe.
The tape withstands over 600 psi and with a jubilee on top I reckon no problems, I did three wraps of tape on top of each other.
Anyway this may help someone somewhere in a fix, especially for the cooling pipe as it's so expensive!
All the best

It's been on the first leak for over 2 months without any problems, it's sealed it up as far as I'm concerned. I've done another two this past month no problems. It's remained stable and secure.
That fluid is extremely hot as well. The key is to use a jubilee clip or clips above the split over the tape, do them up fairly tight but not overly. The tape has to be stretched and overlapped as it's wound round the pipe.
The tape withstands over 600 psi and with a jubilee on top I reckon no problems, I did three wraps of tape on top of each other.
Anyway this may help someone somewhere in a fix, especially for the cooling pipe as it's so expensive!
All the best
Thanks Rob, I think you convinced me to give it go. Will pop to halfords tomorrow after work and pick up some of the stuff.
I bought the after market hose but easily returnable I guess.
Shall see how it goes.
All the best too.

Let us know how it goes as if mine splits I'll do the same :)
I used 3 jubilee clips over each hole, possibly Overkill but I hated taking the bumper off!

An after market hose should be fine but as you say fitment isn't always the best at the steering rack end where the bent tubing isn't the most accurate. It'll connect to the rack fine but the bracketry connecting it to the subframe may not aligni so I ended up making my own but a couple of steel cable ties would also do the job imo.

If you replaced the oil cooler with a new one I'm not sure what the problem could be unless your steering rack is leaking (been there done that). I replaced the corroded end of my oil cooler with a mini radiator type oil cooler (search posts) and that seems to have held for well over a year.

If your rack is leaking try the Lucas power steering stop leak for a tenner or so it may well be temporary but can work on small leaks. If you need to replace the rack, I have a professionally refursbished one for sale that I ended up not using...let me know if interested.

Thanks Tony for the feedback with regards to the after market hose.
How many miles have you been running with it?

Its definitely weeping from the top hose when its anchored just behind the rocker cover.

Hopefully the rack is ok, can't imagine the palava involved in changing one of them.
Are they common to go on the Accord?

The Accord is definitely feeling the beating of wear and tear, to be honest it has done well with no major repairs in the last few years or so with the last major outlay being the common alternator replacement for the pulley revision TSB back in 2015.

Hi Alex

I've driven about 8K miles in 14 months with the new PS hose, it's difficult to say whether a leaking steering rack is a common fault or just a consequence of age but there seem to be a quite a few threads about it. I bought my car with a small leak that I only discovered after purchase but the PS oil was in rather poor condtion, I'd recommend using the lucas leak stopper as a preventative measure anyway as it works as an oil seal conditioner.

If you do replace the hose you'll be best dropping the rear of the front subframe (2" or so) which'll give you better access to the rack which isn't as scary as it sounds and achievable with just axle stands, yes replacing the steering rack is a complete and utter **** arse of a job but glad it's sorted.

Hi guys, I'd just like to add something else to all of this great info posted, I did this as a preventative measure as well.
The reason is this product can be used in engine oil, PSF fluid or sprayed on any suspension bushes. The product is called AT-205 RE-SEAL, I took as much PSF fluid out as possible over a few days, just sucking it out from the reservoir and topping up with fresh, it becomes fairly clear. Then I added the AT-205 RE-SEAL. It is apparently the top stuff for replenishing seals, the rest of the bottle I sprayed over all of my suspension bushes. All of this I got from a famous YouTube channel. It is American stuff and I couldn't find anywhere that sells it in the UK. I ordered off eBay and was here in a week.
Worth checking it out on YouTube. I'd recommend it. Obviously it won't help split pipes but my idea was for any seals in the rack etc to be replenished.
These power steering faults are common on our older vehicles, hopefully this info may help someone. I'm trying to keep my Accord on the road for as long as possible, because I enjoy driving it!

Thanks tony, does sound reassuring that he can last pretty long. Although i do cover 2000 miles a month so can cover that miles very quickly. Hence why it may be worth going genuine for longevity. I have ordered the aftermarket one so shall see what the quality is like to hand.

Cheers for the insight Rob, will keep that AT205 Re-seal stuff in mind. Pretty sure no other leaks are present other than the main high pressure hose weeping.
Its still holding and will tempoarily patch it up with some of the super tape "fixx it tape" from halfords

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-body-repair/adhesives/fixx-it-silicone-tape

I love driving the Accord too, excellent leather seats and position. I could drive it for long periods and never get any aches or pains.
Shall try keep her going.

accord_n22 said:
Hi Guys,

Just a quick one, the Accord has developed a slight leak on the high pressure power steering hose.
Seems its quite a common issue on Honda's when they get bit older.

It has began to sweep just where the anchor point is on the top rubber hose section.

A new one from Honda is an eye watering £300, but after market can be had for around £20 to £35 ish.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PAS-Power-steering-pipe-pressure-hose-for-Honda-Accord-2-2-diesel-02-07-CDTi/173118725494?fits=Model%3AAccord&hash=item284eae1d76:g:y7AAAOSwZfNaaJvb
Or any other recommendations?

Has anyone had any experience with the after market ones, or would it be best to go genuine?

I am feeling to take a punt on the after market ones as it is just a hose? lol.
From experience though, cheap after market parts just dont fit well or last very long but spending £300 on a hose is crazy. 

Cheers Guys

I've replaced this on both Accords I've owned and never paid more than about £25 for each one. It's never been an issue and the fitment has been perfect. The 1st time I had it done and it hadn't failed when I sold the car 2.5yrs later... the second car was only done a couple of months ago before a drunk driver wrote it off... I may yet remove the hose and keep as a spare for the replacement... Just in case.

Just an update on the thread.

I decided to go genuine in the end. I know - Crazy me. Purely for the fact that I do 30k miles a year and having a genuine hose in there gave peace of mind that the original lasted 13 years and 210k miles.

The swap over was pretty simple, my mechanic guy managed to access and remove the nut from the steering rack connection through small access in the wheel arch.
We also filled and sucked the power steering fluid 3 times, allowing it to circulate for several minutes before sucking again.

All restored and running normally now.

PS: I did try the "fixx it tape" from halfords but it still leaked - I ***ume the pressure just being too great.
I drove with the leaky hose for over a month until I had the time to get the hose swapped over.
Goes to show how robust these cars are even when wounded. haha.

Thanks for your help all.
Fingers crossed it can now go to 250k miles with no further issues.