What's new

Key battery replacement

saeana

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord
Hi guys

I own a 2006 Honda Accord. I tried to open my car the other evening but realised the fob wasn't working, the light doesn't come on when I press the keys on the fob so I ***umed the battery is dead. I tried to open the door using the key but that kept setting off the alarm and my hazard lights would keep flashing.
I went home to get the spare key and noticed the battery was dead on that too. I purchased a battery but then I could not open my main key. The little screw is just completely worn and there is no lines on it anymore. I managed to open the spare key and changed the battery. The light would now come on when I pressed any buttons so the battery is working.
When I went to pick the car up to my horror the doors wouldn't open using the fob and I had the same issue with the alarm when I opened the door using the key!!!
I did a quick search online and found a few things like turning the key to lock unlock and then lock again but that doesn't work. There was another thing about putting the car in the ignition, switching the dash lights on and pressing the lock button and repeating this 4 times but that doesn't work either.
I also came across this thing about pulling out the relays for alarm flashes. I found the 2 relays underneath the glove compartment but pulling them out only stops the hazards but doesn't do anything about the alarm noise!
So my question is first of all what do I need to do about the key? Does it need to be programmed again and where can I do that?
Secondly is there any way of turning off the alarm so that at least I can drive the car home as I'm at work tomorrow and Saturday so might not be able to get the key fixed until after the bank holiday.

To use the car stop alarm first. Remove cover in the boot (driver side) and disconnect alarm plug. Check alarm battery inside as well.
After all find sequence pressing fob buttons to stop alarm (I don't remember how, read forum). If you find how to do it you can try stop it without disconnect plug.

Thanks for that. So the alarm plug is in the boot? Do I need to remove the spare tyre?
Ill start to check for the sequence.,

saeana said:
Thanks for that. So the alarm plug is in the boot? Do I need to remove the spare tyre?
Ill start to check for the sequence.,
You don't need to remove spare tyre. First remove back plastic on the boot inside. Then unbutton right hand side panel cover, the alarm is there.