What's new

Reverse camera

davemazo

Members
Reaction score
Car
Skoda Superb Estate
I`m thinking of fitting a reverse camera to my Tourer. Maybe this one:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Special-Reverse-Rear-View-CAMERA-HONDA-ACCORD-/160463104477?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item255c58a9dd

Jav, was it you who fitted one to your saloon? Was it something like this one? I`ll be fitting mine to my Nav unit whereas am I right in thinking yours was fitted to your ICE unit. Any tips would be great ("don`t do it" isn`t an acceptable tip)

I`m going to need some sort of adaptor cable like this:-

http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-gen-electronics/17965-backup-camera-install.html

I still need to ring Holdcroft (thanks CJ) to see if there is something available from them. If not any idea where I can get the white connectors mentioned in the tscclub writeup. Maplins website wasn`t much help.

One more question, is the number plate light fitting the same on the tourer as the saloon.

Hi Dave,

Yes that is the same camera I used, in regards to seeing if it will fit the tourer you are best to have a look at my car pics in the members section, if the number plate lights are the same shape/format then you won't have a problem... the only thing I did was sand down the silver surround which goes over the number plate lights to get the camera to get a snug fit, also the camera was slightly loose but a slight bit of double sided type and some heat got that to stick properly, and once I got the silver surround back on it was very tight sonit doesn't move at all, also I have a subwoofer in the boot and this doesn't affect it at all either... :)

also yes I have a Pioneer multimedia system fitted so that had a connection made for a reverse camera...

Oh and also them White connectors you may want to try popping into your local maplins or even sending those guys at radio shack a nice little email to see if they would post to the UK.... as for Honda just the camera on the 8th gen is around £800 last time I checked!!! But maybe HH could get hold of a wiring loom for this camera at a reasonable price??

Anyhow if you need ***istance/help in fitting it even give me a shout mate I'm more than happy to help :)

Thanks Jav, I`ll get one ordered and go from there. I did try the Maplin website but couldn`t find any but theres a shop nearby I`ll go and have a look when I get a minute. It seems the only additional bit I need is the cable that converts the phono style output of the camera to that white plug that connects to my satnav dvd.

Thanks for the offer of help I might take you up on that

Camera ordered and the necessary plugs and connectors acquired from Maplin so I`ll let you all know how I get on when it`s all together

Funny you should ask Dave. I`ve just come in from fitting my cable and plugging in Panasonic digital camera to test it and everything works great. Just waiting for the reverse camera to arrive and install that.

Heres some pictures of how it went though theres not much to see. I`ve skipped over most of it because its the same as the Xcarlink install and that was done to death over on THAOC.

This is from my Xcarlink install write up of about 3 years ago on THAOC just to show the 2 nuts and 2 bolts that need to be removed to gain access to the back of the dvd drive. Obviously after removing (with some difficulty because of the 2 top clips) the dvd surround.

Honda2.jpg

A picture of my cable plugged into the rear of the dvd drive.

P1050228.jpg

A picture from my digital camera showing on the screen.

IMAG0050.jpg

And finally a picture of my home made adaptor cable

P1050226.jpg

Looking forward to getting my reverse camera now.

this looks a great little project looking forward to seeing this work

will the screen automatically change to the camera when you select reverse gear?

also is that the back of the sat nav DVD drive?

Excellent job dave can't wait to see the final result!

Paul, yes as soon as I put it into reverse the screen changes to the camera input otherwise its just the normal satnav screen and yes that is the back of the dvd drive. The tsxclub thread in post 1 has better pictures.

CJ, don`t fancy making any more of those cables. In total it probably took me a whole days work. My soldering skills are poor to say the least. At first I even had the cables entering the white multi pin socket the wrong way round and had to start all over again. The heat shrink idea came from the tsxclub post I referred to in post 1. I can`t claim any kudos for that, I`d never heard of the stuff until I read that thread.

Thanks Jav I`ll do as many pics as I can, lets hope it all goes smoothly.

I just took the picture from the tsxclub thread in post 1 to Maplin. I think in USA the op called it a 100kk molex. They only had a 10 pin connector in Maplin but it was easy to cut down to seven. Then just collected the other bits from Maplin while I was there and dug out a piece of lighting flex I had in the garage and eventually stuck it all together.
If you read all of the thread on tsx somebody has used a motherboard jumper to link pins 6 & 7. I was going to use one of those cables you had to connect to a cd drive and motherboard in a PC for audio for the other connector but thought I`d have a go at doing something a bit more professional first

Camera finally arrived and thought I`d have a go today while there was a dry half hour between showers. Managed to get the inside cover off the tailgate without breaking any clips, it wasn`t too hard. But thats about all I could manage. It looks like a no goer, with the camera I bought anyway. The license plate light fittings must be totally different to the saloon. When I took the light fitting out it just leaves a big hole that is too big for the clip fitting of the camera. I suppose some sort of plate could be made and screwed in somehow but I had lost heart by then. On top of that the tailgate is double skinned with the light fitting and cables being fitted then the outer plastic outer skin fitted over the top. I didn`t fancy trying to pull that off so I put it all back together and went in for a cuppa. Sorry guys but it seems to be too big a job for me.

This a job I'm planning, though with the Tourer I concluded the best option was going to be a 'bullet' type camera in the bumper. I failed to find any other camera that would be a better choice, and you've confirmed my suspicions that the saloon license plate one is a no goer in the Tourer. I'm almost toying with the notion of getting another 'Dash Cam' for use as a rear facing recorder, with the video output going to the reversing input on the Sat Nav screen. Only issue I can see is that the image wouldn't be reversed, oh, and it's a CMOS chip when I really want a CCD....mmmm no actually I'm not toying with that idea any more, just thinking aloud.

There must be one good camera solution, for the Tourer, somewhere.

There is Ed here:-

http://www.scribd.com/doc/33475811/08B21-SED-6002-96EN00-Rear-View-Camera

But as this is a Honda supplied bit of kit it will cost mega bucks. I can see, I think, where they are fitting it and to be honest it shouldn`t be too hard cutting out a suitable sized hole in the plastic next to the license plate light but I`ll have to have a think about it and decide whether it`s worth it. Fitting my Ebay camera, I mean, not the Honda one.

Hey Dave, That cable looks pretty good, how did you find out which cables connect to which pin? Want to do mine at somepoint (cables I mean wires to which pin)

Cheers,
Nick

Scrap that... its on that TSX link duhhh ;)

There is Ed here:-

http://www.scribd.com/doc/33475811/08B21-SED-6002-96EN00-Rear-View-Camera

But as this is a Honda supplied bit of kit it will cost mega bucks. I can see, I think, where they are fitting it and to be honest it shouldn`t be too hard cutting out a suitable sized hole in the plastic next to the license plate light but I`ll have to have a think about it and decide whether it`s worth it. Fitting my Ebay camera, I mean, not the Honda one.

Yes, I see, thanks for that link, very comprehensive and detailed. As you say, Honda priced and out of the question for me too, but I can also see where they are fitting it and agree with a bit of work an Ebay camera would go there too.

Scrap that... its on that TSX link duhhh ;)

Nick, I was just going to point you in the right direction, but you found it. There is also a good guide here on civinfo that identifies the plug connections quite well.

Cheers Ed thats useful

Thought I`d have another go at this and after a lot of huffing and puffing managed to get it fitted, after a fashion. I did make a right pigs ear of it though.

Like I said previously it doesn`t simply replace the license plate light like it possibly does on the saloon. The only way I could see to fit this camera was to cut a hole in a blank space next to the light, which isn`t difficult as its only plastic. The only trouble is I managed to cut the hole the wrong way round so the camera finished up pointing at the sky, what a plank. All I could do was cut some more plastic out so it fitted the right way round so now theres a dirty great hole where the camera is fitted and its going to have to be stuck on instead of just clipped in, well cheesed off.

Ah well I thought after a few swear words at the car (there was nobody else around to blame) I might as well crack on with it. So I did, and after ripping out and yanking a few panels and trims eventually managed to run the cable to the satnav display. Why do Honda make their trim panels such a tight fit???????. Anyway feeling a bit better and semi pleased with myself I switched on, put the gear stick into reverse eagerly awaiting a nice picture of the block paving to appear on the screen and.......... nothing, just the map display, what the flipping heck.

I checked all the wiring, I was getting a voltage on the camera cable, the RCA connector was a good fit so I`m not sure what`s wrong. The instructions are non existent but there is a basic wiring diagram on the Ebay site which looks nothing like the wiring I`ve got so I guessed most of it. I didn`t bother connecting the LED light of the camera as it`s not replacing the existing license plate light, that`s still there. There is a thin red wire coming from each end of the RCA plug extension which, because this isn`t shown in the photo on the Ebay listing or doesn`t show on the basic diagram I taped these up and didn`t connect them. I can`t see why you would either ground or connect to live an RCA plug which is carrying the video signal.

Jav, this is where you come in, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I`ll add a picture of the camera tomorrow, there`s not much else to see as its just a case of threading cables and ripping out trim panels. And besides I had a right cob on.

Think I`ve blown it now, literally.

I decided to check everything and worked my way back to the connector I made that plugged into the dvd drive for the satnav. It seemed to be a bit loose so I took it out and plugged it back in, put it in reverse and success, I had a perfect clear picture of the sky on my screen (the tailgate was up).

My joy though was short lived, a second or two later the screen went dead, the radio went off and the dash lit up with Check System warnings about airbags, VSA, and ABS and to top it all off the car won`t start. I`m hoping it`s just a dead battery as it was struggling to turn over. So I`ve put it on charge and I`ll leave it for a good 24 hours to charge up properly.

Someone please tell me it is just a flat battery and I haven`t blown something major and expensive.

uh oh! maybe with the multiplex wiring you couldve blown some fuses, I'd check them all first. I blew 2 random fuses when installing my euro r mirrors too, never ever blown a fuse before doin any electrics previously :)

Thanks Oz, I`ll have a look tomorrow. I did check the VSA fuse, couldn`t find one for ABS or airbags.

Also could you or someone confirm something for me. Power for the camera needs to be taken from the reverse light and grounded, so I spliced into the two wires going into the reverse light bulb, these were green and black. So I`m ***uming green for live and black for earth or does the earth from the camera need to be connected to the car body somewhere.

Dave the wires u spliced is fine, as for your problem I think it just a weak battery mate I wouldn't worry too much.

Thanks Jav I`m sure you`re right as I spent most of yesterday fitting the thing with tailgate and doors open and radio on so the battery is probably well drained.

Turned into a bit of a horror. Agree with what's been said, only to add is the battery disconnected whilst its charging? I don't always if I'm just giving it a trickle charge, but then I know my charger, (I built it, and know its characteristics), especially has you have the faults show up, dissing the battery will clear them before you have it ready to try again.

Hope your next post says all is well...

Guys,

Any idea if this camera will fit our CL9 sedan ?
cameranumarhonda.jpg

I guess it should replace one of the rear plate lights, right ?

Dinoc, that looks very similar to the one I`ve just fitted, the only obvious difference is the shape of the LED lights. I fitted it to the tourer but it isn`t a straight swap for the number plate light. I had to cut a hole next to the light to fit it. I don`t know about the saloon but Jav will know he has fitted one to his saloon.