What's new

Wobble/judder when accelerating

nodrogs

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord 2.2
Just noticed today that under hard acceleration (around 3000 rpm), my accord has developed a bad wobble through the steering wheel. It goes away as soon as I change gear and is fine at steady speed. Only noticed it under hard acceleration. Any ideas?

Have a look here Stephen

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/1811-wobble-through-steering-wheel/

Thanks Brett, had looked at that but didn't take the time to read through it properly. Had suspected drive shaft, interesting it seems to be the passenger side. At 85k I think I will look into the inner joints as Andy did.

If it's not your wheel balancing or buckled rim, sounds like the driveshaft problem..

Wouldn't an out of balance wheel not be vibrating all the time? I'll be switching back to the summer tyres shortly so that will rule that out. Funny enough I tried to replicate it again this morning and couldn't get it.

sometimes it only happens at certain speeds with unbalanced wheels.

but in this case i doubt it's that.

Dan is correct cars iv drove with out of balance wheels normally vibrate around 50mph

My mechanic has had a look at the driveshaft and can't see anything obvious. I don't believe its the wheels because the car is fine at steady speed and gentle acceleration. Tonight I was able to feel the vibration through the pedals but it wasn't bad enough to feel it through the steering wheel?

Stephen, is it there every time you accelerate? or just at certain speeds? Also you havent had any new tyres recently have you? Finally does it do it on all road surfaces or is it a certain road?

It doesn't seem to do it all the time, but it does do it must of the time if I put the boot down. If I keep below 2k then nothing noticeable to me anyway. It can do it in 2nd, 3rd and forth. Don't normally go much over 70 so can't comment on 5th.

tyres are a couple of months old prob 4000 miles on them and can't see anything wrong with them. Does it on different roads. Will be back on my summer wheels soon so that will rule the wheels out for sure.

I'd still bet on driveshaft. Mine 'looked' fine according to the mechanic at the garage I bought it from but wobbled like a wobbly thing under any decent acceleration. Replaced it and its been fine for the last 30K

^^ agree most likely driveshaft, normally starts between 55-65. if its worn a little more than you'll feel it under hard accelaration. the nature of it doesn't show up under inspection and just have to change and see.

Honda dealers are aware of this on high mileage diesels.

Today the car has started to do it at lower revs and gentler acceleration (under 2k). Presumably its starting to get quite bad? My mechanics lift is out of action but when its back in operation we were planning on starting the engine, putting into first, foot hard on break and let the clutch out to see if theres any movement anywhere. Had also thought about possibly jacking the front wheels, putting the car in gear and see if theres any movement visible on the driveshaft. Either of these sound like a plan? I agree that it still seems like a driveshaft but I'd prefer to know for sure and which side before paying out. The other problem is i've just rang around and there doesn't seem to be any breakers over here with any, but of course that can change.

Update: had a crawl under the car. There seems to be some movement side to side on the passenger side drive shaft; drivers side seems pretty solid.

Ok so got both drive shafts replaced. Still a slight judder at 20-30 but nowhere near as bad. Whats bothering me more though is that now the clutch has started slipping in 4th and 5th :angry:

can i ask the price of driveshaft replacement all in, im experiencing same probs

I got the shafts for £100 each from my local motor factors. Honestly though, I kind of wish I'd went to honda with the remaining judder at slow speed. The honda technician said their drive shafts were £245, although I think this is considerably cheaper than the likes of lings. You can also look at second hand ones which might be as good.

Guys I need some ideas here! Honda have just tried known good shafts in and no different. They're also checked engine mounts and everything is fine. Wheels should be ok as I'm now on my summer rims and no different from winter rims. Any more ideas?

You mentioned that your clutch was slipping, is the judder not just the clutch on it's last legs, it could be a combination of the drive shafts and clutch, prior to replacing, the drive shaft issue could have been masking the clutch slipping.

Either way if your clutch is slipping best advice is to get it changed ASAP, subject to finances,to avoid any damage to the DMF and at least you can rule out the DMF at the same time.

You mentioned that your clutch was slipping, is the judder not just the clutch on it's last legs, it could be a combination of the drive shafts and clutch, prior to replacing, the drive shaft issue could have been masking the clutch slipping.

Either way if your clutch is slipping best advice is to get it changed ASAP, subject to finances,to avoid any damage to the DMF and at least you can rule out the DMF at the same time.

That is a fair enough point, I had wondered about it as well but it doesn't feel like clutch judder at all. I will of course be getting the clutch done but its not too bad at the moment, I can drive most days without causing it to slip if I'm gentle with the right foot.

I was talking to the technician when I picked my car up. He said he was working on one at home with the exact same problem and swapping driveshafts didn't help it either. Honda technical have now suggested checking for faulty injectors.

Have the same issue myself - what motor factors did you go to for the shafts and what make were they? The breakers would charge £100 for them so £100 for a new shaft is a good deal!

Steering Rack?

Gearbox mount? Brakes binding?

Its not the brakes. Gearbox is a good suggestion, I wonder is this included when they checked/tightened all the engine mounts?

Steering Rack?

I also wondered about this but the car did go through MOT a few days before the initial vibrations started so I think they would have spotted if something was up?

I think a few people have this prob after changing the shafts it remains at a much lesser degree. Waj changed his for new honda ones and he still experienced a very slight wobble/judder.
I'm just thinking if the box could be damaged with all the vibration, as it can get bad.

Inner part of the rack can go, with the car off if you turn steering briskly left/right you'll hear a knocking noise.

Inner part of the rack can go, with the car off if you turn steering briskly left/right you'll hear a knocking noise.

Yes, there is a knocking noise. I've known about it thought originally it was just some play in the driveshaft but had a listen while my wife turned the wheel and does seem to be coming from the steering rack. Would this cause a vibration, its more through the car than just the wheel. Can anyone confirm that its not normal to have this knocking noise?

Hi,

I'm new here and have been trying to cure very similar if not exactly the same problem for months now: judder most often felt when accellerating in 2nd gear through 1500-2000 rpm, particularly up hill. Occasionally in other gears and when cruising at Motorway speeds in 5th. So far my excellent local garage has changed both half-shafts. The first pair were returned to supplier under warrantee because the problem persisted, but its still there with replacement pair. For tother reasons the car has had all clutch components replaced, differential reconditioned, and the intermediate bearing that supports the right driveshaft replaced. So the inboard shaft on the right side (between gearbox and that bearing) is the only drivetrain component not replaced. Garage is out of ideas and can only suggest a) replacing the inboard shaft, even though no wear/play is apparent, or B) using genuine Honda parts for the two driveshafts already replaced. Has anyone found a solution yet?