What's new

PTG Check - Electric Tourer Boot Failed - Please Help!

thequietone

Members
Reaction score
Car
2006 Accord Tourer
Dear All,

I'm in desperate need of help, the 2006 Tourer I bought last week today developed a fault with the electric tail gate. I openned it fine this morning, filled it full of stuff, then drove for 5 mins, parked up went to open the boot and it beeped twice then nothing. After that the buttons do nothing, the remote one, the one in the car and eventually when I openned it manually the button on the boot itself. The manual handle also does nothing on the boot, it seems the lock just doesn't opporate.

I'm so worried about the implications of this, it is my wife's car and as of tomorrow she will have to climb through the boot to open it...not what I want her doing while looking after our 6 month old. The manual says take it to a dealr, is there anything I can try first? I have checked the 40 and two 20 amp fuses in the engine bay and they all seem to be fine. If anyone has anything they can add please do.

I have the service records for the car and on the 02/04/10 the 'Central Locking solenoid/motor - boot lid/tailgate' was replaced, then on the 24/05/2010 the 'Boot lid/tailgate - lock aseembly' was replaced by Lookers Honda in Deeby.Could it bei either of these parts, and if so are they covered by 12 month gurantees? If they are I need to do soemthing sharpish! Lookers have already told me they can't give me any service records for the car, I wonder if that means they won't honour any claims against work they did?

Anyway any help you guys can give me would be very much appreciated, I'm so dissapointed this has happened so soon in my ownership. I'm loving the car in general.

Regards,

Matt.

How full was the boot?

I think there is reset procedure somewhere on the forum.

How full was the boot?

I think there is reset procedure somewhere on the forum.

Hi Dan,

It was pretty full, I did wonder about that actually. I've done lots of searches on the forum for the words I can think of and couldn't find anything. If you can help it would be much appreciated.

Thanks for the reply so quickly.

Cheers,

Matt.

I can't remember how to reset it... Perhaps one of the others will know.

I have had problems without when the boot was really packed, but if sorted itself once it was emptied.

Have you tried it since it was empty?

it seams you have had the lock ***y and controll motor replaced at some point but there was allso a problem with the tailgate ECU software. (EVEN THE TAILGATE HAS ITS OWN ECU!!) the ecu software wrongly ***umes the tailgate is open or closed when it is not and will not unlock with either the fob or by the handle. there is normaly a dtc stored allso but due to the previous items being replaced i would say you need a new tailgate ecu.

I heard of this problem before with the ecu getting confused. Just disconnecting the battery and trying again has worked for a few others on the old forum. Worth a try.

Ok, I disconnected the battery this morning and the boot worked when reconnected. It then went on to stop working next time. The disconnecting and reconnecting didn't work again. I've bought a new tailgate ECU from eBay for £92 which is brand new (£400 from Honda!), so I'll fit that when it arrives and hope like mad it sorts the problem! There aren't many bits left to replace if it isn't that :-(. Thanks for the help chaps.

where was the ebay link for that bud?

I stripped my unit down when mine did this. basically there are two circular switches where a rotating arm passes over positional sensors. On mine the springiness of the switch had been lost so the ecu was loosing track of where the lock unit was. Bending the contacts back up and re ***embling then the battery reset and mines worked fine since.

Hi,

This is the link http://wap.ebay.co.uk/Pages/ViewItem.aspx?aid=120688231650&ebayref=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.co.uk%3A80%2Fws%2FeBayISAPI.dll%3FViewItem%26item%3D120688231650%26autoredirect%3Doff I hope that's what it is. If it's a simple fix I'll have a spare one :)

Cheers,

Matt

Hi,

Just a quick update on this. I received the part from a very helpful and friendly eBay seller, Chris, and finally fitted it yesterday. The boot worked straight away although stopped after about 10 go's and I had to disconnect the battery. This kicked it back into life, and it kept working so I put the car back together and it was working perfectly a couple of hours later. I could see that everything else seems to have been replaced as the documents say so I'm hoping that was it.

The guy I bought it from seems to work for Honda as he talked me through fitting, and he's said he'll help if I need any more trouble shooting, but for now it seems all good.

Thanks for all your help, if it works out I'm pretty happy with a £92 fix for what seemed like such a massive problem at first!

Cheers,

Matt

top man! any chance of a write up?

Very sad to report the boot has stopped working again! Goes up about 1/4 of the way then beeps and shuts again, but doesn't lock and the lock stays stuck open. A battery disconnect later and lock shuts but boot still doesn't function. Could the car being parked on a slope be anything to do with it? I'm so dissapointed, really don't want this car to spoil my Honda love. :-(

Could be the clutch?

Parking on a slope won't help - that tailgate is probably quite heavy.

My 2005 2.0 Tourer has a similar problem in that the powered tailgate doesn't always work - sometimes it needs a bit of manual intervention, sometimes it beeps again and does the reverse of what it started - is there anything that needs some lubrication to keep it happy?

If it stops working I'm not going to touch it - it'll just be a manual tailgate from then on like every other estate car I've ever had.

I so glad i got a saloon lol

The problem is when it stops working the lock / handle does too, so to have a manual boot you have to crawl through the boot space each time!! Mine is still playing up, works for 2 mins then doesn't. I'm waiting to speak to someone from Honda soon and I'll update you all! Bloody car ;-)

I reckon its similar to mine, the internal mechanism that tells the ecu where everything is is weak so it loses track. I dismantled mine and bent the contacts back up to make a good connection and its been fine since.

I took the whole lock unit out of the car, there is a white plastic cover that encloses alll the electronic bits, take this off and you will see 2 white plastic circular pieces. Its hard to describe but think of them as dishes which have electrical contacts in the bottom spaced out in a circle. inside this dish fits a piece with springy electric contacts and it is connected to the motorised lock piece. As the motor runs to open the mechanism the internal piece rotates so the springy bits make contact and then no contact with the contacts on the bottom of the dishes. I found the "springyness" weak on mine so I suspected that they were not making a good contact and the boot ecu wasn't quite sure what position the motor and lock bits were in and shutting down to protect itself, bending them up a bit and reassembling it all, then the usual battery reset and its been fine for a couple of months now.

took me about an hour and half to complete on mine. You do need to be methodical in dismantling and make notes so you know how to put it all back together but its not particularly difficult.

The problem is when it stops working the lock / handle does too, so to have a manual boot you have to crawl through the boot space each time!! Mine is still playing up, works for 2 mins then doesn't. I'm waiting to speak to someone from Honda soon and I'll update you all! Bloody car ;-)

Don't want to sound dense but just to clarify what parts were replaced before you got the car (from a main agent I ***ume?) Am I right in thinking the tailgate motor, and the lock ECU were done? Any chance that one of these parts has failed? I know that the tailgate motor was a bit of an issue to start with - the motor unit on mine failed just 2mths after I bought my car privately at 3yrs old - being the 4th owner I rang Honda not expecting to get anywhere - I ended up getting a new motor unit courtesy of honda and only had to pay for a couple of hrs labour :D Do you have warranty on the car?

Simon

Very sad to report the boot has stopped working again! Goes up about 1/4 of the way then beeps and shuts again, but doesn't lock and the lock stays stuck open. A battery disconnect later and lock shuts but boot still doesn't function. Could the car being parked on a slope be anything to do with it? I'm so dissapointed, really don't want this car to spoil my Honda love. :-(

hello just quick thing to mention ive asked my dad who works for honda and asked him,common things with these tailgates are the clutch in the motor,or the tailgate struts itself,they are a common thing and my dad as changed loads,to check if the struts are up to the job just open the tailgate to the maximum opening and if the tailgate drops down it may be worn tailgate struts,but it may have worn the clutch on the motor itself so it may need both part
hope this help in anyway :rolleyes:

Hi,

Quick update, changed the ECU and it failed! Checked wiring and all seems ok so took to an auto electrician. The fault is the tailgate lock each time it fails apparently. I've got another one of those now for £130, so when I stump up £90 to fit it we'll see if I'm £380 worse off still with a broken boot!

It's all pretty tedious...

Cheers,

Matt

what does he reckon is actually breaking in the locks? Have you tried dismantling one to have a look yourself?

there are quite a few points to check on the tourer boots. i had one the other day where after fitting a new lock ***embly it still wouldnt work. is your tailgate warning light on?. if so you will have a dtc which can point you towards the problem with your boot. it turned out in the job i carried out there was a broken wire allong the hinge. the fault was problem with closer motor circuit and became obvious the signal wire back to the ecu was broken. moral of the story is you caunt just go chucking parts at the problem. its great knowing common problems but you have got to narrow down your search and methodicaly check the system. there complicated things these tourer boots!

there are quite a few points to check on the tourer boots. i had one the other day where after fitting a new lock ***embly it still wouldnt work. is your tailgate warning light on?. if so you will have a dtc which can point you towards the problem with your boot. it turned out in the job i carried out there was a broken wire allong the hinge. the fault was problem with closer motor circuit and became obvious the signal wire back to the ecu was broken. moral of the story is you caunt just go chucking parts at the problem. its great knowing common problems but you have got to narrow down your search and methodicaly check the system. there complicated things these tourer boots!

Hi, my 2003 tourer boot will not open and I get the tailgate warning lamp on the dash.
I have reset the system using the very helpful instructions on this forum, after a reset the indicator lights flash and I get an audible tone before the light comes back on the dash. Boot fails to open.

I have read the DTC on the connector under the dash and it reports no codes. I have heard that there is a separate inspection connector for the power tailgate motor, does anybody know where this is located as I have recently bought an ODBII code reader and I was hoping this would narrow down the problem.

Cheers