What's new

2.0 exhaust manifold on a 1.8

dave0922

Members
Reaction score
Car
99 Accord ES, F18B2
Hi Guys,

Can anybody tell me if I can fit a 2.0 exhaust manifold onto my 1.8. Looking to replace with a stainless manifold and front pipe. I can get a package on ebay for £98 but it says 2.0.

Looking at the workshop manual, the manifold fittings look the same but I need to be sure before I buy the package.

Any help would be apreciated.

Cheers

Are the part numbers the same?

Cant find the part numbers on the manual? Maybe im looking in the wrong place but all I can seem to fid are the repair/replacement guides.

You can find the part numbers here:

http://www.hondaoriginalparts.com/honda_car_parts_block_selection_C30.php?mod_01=2300

Any way, take care with the exhaust manifold, there was a guy here at the forum(or the old THAOC), that fitted a stainless steel exhaust manifold and he had to take it out, as the MIL light was turning on. It appeared the lambda sensor location in the new manifold was not the best place...

You can find the part numbers here:

http://www.hondaoriginalparts.com/honda_car_parts_block_selection_C30.php?mod_01=2300

Any way, take care with the exhaust manifold, there was a guy here at the forum(or the old THAOC), that fitted a stainless steel exhaust manifold and he had to take it out, as the MIL light was turning on. It appeared the lambda sensor location in the new manifold was not the best place...

Yes, I remember that guy and the trouble he had, that was on THAOC.... Anyway, he had trouble because it was a 2.0 and his sensor was on the manifold itself. The 1.8 however does not have the sensor on the manifold, It has one just before the cat and one just after the cat.

Here is what I want to buy: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HONDA-ACCORD-2-0-2-2-98-02-4-BRANCH-EXHAUST-MANIFOLD-/350278743534?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item518e3d75ee Seems like it should be a direct fit and I can keep the sensor hole on the manifold sealed.

Pedro, thanks for the part number link. It turns out that the manifold gasket for the 1.8 is exactly the same part number as the 2.0. so my choice of manifold and downpipe should fit straight on with it being intended for the 2.0 model.
If the gaskets are the same then the fitment is the same!

Yeah thats a classic f20b exhuast port layout, the 1.8 is longer conrods hence reduction in displacement, the head is the same. Get that shiney manifold and get it on! If you want a bit more power, chop the collector off at the flexipipe part, and weld on a 2.5" pipe the same length, then reweld that flange back on, make a big difference.

theres 2 slots for the o2 sensor, so where ever it is standard just put it in there, sorted.

Yeah thats a classic f20b exhuast port layout, the 1.8 is longer conrods hence reduction in displacement, the head is the same. Get that shiney manifold and get it on! If you want a bit more power, chop the collector off at the flexipipe part, and weld on a 2.5" pipe the same length, then reweld that flange back on, make a big difference.

theres 2 slots for the o2 sensor, so where ever it is standard just put it in there, sorted.

Thanks for the vote of confidence matey. Gonna buy this one me thinks. The sensor on mine goes in the port by the flexipipe so the manifold port will have to stay sealed. I will probably get that port welded for best seal. Gonna get a nice induction kit to go with it and later on a scorpion backbox. I am planning a bit of an overhaul next month as it is works bonus time so here are the plans:

Stainless manifold and downpipe (as above)
Induction Kit
New sparks
Oil Change
Gearbox Oil Change
Valve Clearance
EGR Valve and Intake Manifold cleanout
New Alloys (or good secondhands) 17"
Auxilary Belt Change
Grandad Wood Effect dash and door peices coated in carbon fibre
Scorpion Back Box (following Month)

And whatever else I can fit into my budget! (hope the wife doesnt read this)

Looks a well thought through list good effort.

Maybe consider a cat back exhaust, then youd have a full system underneath. Or possibly get a catback from an Accord type R? Just throwing that into the mix.

Firstly check with the seller as it says in the listing it fits a “Honda Accord 2.0 2.2 LS LSI Non Vtech 1998-2002” the seller may have year wrong as all 98-02 accords are VTEC So I think it’s for a pre 98 accord hence the low price. Additionally the 1.8 Sport has a different engine to the 1.8 Vtec-s LS, ES, SE, EX… Also it looks just like one I saw on a 96 accord hence why I posted my concern and that one was rusting on all the welds despite being stainless?

Unrelated: my 2002 2.3 Type-V flex section went on my down pipe and doesn’t exist in the after market parts, despite it sharing alot of parts with the Type-R Accord, so I had to part with a few hundred to sort it with a new Honda part “ouch” 

So I would double check with the seller, good luck

Thanks for that matey, I will check with seller before I buy to be sure.

Very interesting didn't realise there was a difference, would it be possible to say what the differences are.

Firstly check with the seller as it says in the listing it fits a “Honda Accord 2.0 2.2 LS LSI Non Vtech 1998-2002” the seller may have year wrong as all 98-02 accords are VTEC So I think it’s for a pre 98 accord hence the low price. Additionally the 1.8 Sport has a different engine to the 1.8 Vtec-s LS, ES, SE, EX… Also it looks just like one I saw on a 96 accord hence why I posted my concern and that one was rusting on all the welds despite being stainless?

Unrelated: my 2002 2.3 Type-V flex section went on my down pipe and doesn’t exist in the after market parts, despite it sharing alot of parts with the Type-R Accord, so I had to part with a few hundred to sort it with a new Honda part “ouch” 

very interesting didn't realise the 1.8 sport engine is different

Here are the differences

1.8 Manifold:
18-manifold.jpg

2.0 Manifold:
20-manifold.jpg

2.3 Type V Manifold:
23-type-v-manifold.jpg

2.2 Type R Manifold:
22-type-r-manifold.jpg

very interesting didn't realise the 1.8 sport engine is different

Yes, I believe that after 2001 the engine was revised and became the F18B3. Though I think that the manifold is still the same all the way until the last 2003 models.

The style may differ between the 1.8 and 2.0, but its still same port patten so it will work.

if the diameter is bigger on the 2.0, well that will just benefit you so happy days.

having 4-2-1 manifold has a 2 pipe down pipe connected which will help low down torque

I think they meant to say Non DOHC Vtec? After all, Type R is the real Vtec of all Vtecs! lol...

Any update on whether this part fitted?

I know the manifold will fit, but it's the downpipe to Cat fitting that concerns me as the bolt pattern is completely reversed as far as I can see based on the Japspeed photos and looking at my car.

Also, take care about the oxigen sensor location. If it's not in the same position, it can cause some problems. IIRC, there was a member which bought an after-market down pipe which had the oxygen sensor in other location and give lots of problems...