DIY - AUX input + IPOD+CD changer

alnug

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Car
Jaguar XF S
I got mine from ebay same place as http://www.icd-ltd.com

Here is a direct link to the item that is used on the Acura TSX in the US which you can also use
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/logjam/sounsnhond3.html

It is a very simple install. The device had a lead which connects directly to the bottom of the factory radio.
On the device there are 3 outputs. one is a socket for a sony CD changer. the other two are phono left and right sockets.

Tools needed:
small adjustable spanner to remove lock nut for the gear knob (can't remember the size, crosshead screwdriver, small mirror, RCA to mini 3.5mm cable.

Optional:
cable ties, adhesive velcro, ground loop isolator, two RCA cable splitters.

Steps:

I have no pics at the moment, may update once i take things apart for my shifter bushing install ;) .

1) Remove the gear knob by holding knob and twisting the lock nut anti-clockwise. twist the knob off.

2) Remove shifter cover - open the ash tray cover and try to get your hand on the top edge of the shifter cover/gaiter area and pry upwards it will unclip but may need a bit of force to begin with 4 clips on the corners hold this part onto the central section.

3) Remove ash tray - take the ash section out of the ash tray and this will expose 2 screws, remove these. at the front of the ash tray you will see two clips which hold the ash tray down on the centre section, push on these to pop out the ash tray. Also remove the connectors for the light and the cigaretter lighter.

4) Remove the storage box - Once the ash tray is removed you will see 2 screws at the bottom of the storage box, remove these. the box is now actually free but is clipped on at the sides. Heres how i freed it.

Open the lid and holding the slightly open lid and bottom of the box, give it a quick sharp tug and the box will unclip. Once unclipped the box can only be removed by closing the lid down and pushing it down a bit further..you'll see what i mean....you may also find it best to have your gear shifted to 4th. Be careful when pulling out the box as it could catch and scratch the bottom of the climate control section.

5) install the Aux adapter - using the mirror you can find the connector near the centre middle at the bottom of the CD player. once this is done you are there. I used the velcro to stick the Aux adapter to the plastic section that is nearest the knees when driving.....the bit just to the right of the storage box...there is enough room there for the adapter. Connect up the RCA cable to the Aux adapter....power on the CD player and switch to AUX mode and test the mp3 player.

Find a place to route your RCA to mini cable and reassemble! YOu're done

There is extra such as of you want to also install a CD-changer and the ground loop isolator..but i will write about that later.

Once you've taken out the cigarette tray you will see the 2 screws u need to take out to get the cigarette lighter out, 2nd pic shows the shifter cover and the 6 clips which secure it:
ashtrays.jpg
shifters.jpg

shifter1s.jpg
shifter2s.jpg

Pop the two clips of the cigarette lighter from underneath and remove the two connectors from the cigarette lighter:
shifter3s.jpg
cigcons.jpg

Here are the two screws you need to take out in order to get the storage tray out:
connectors.jpg

Here is the aux connector on the right:
aux2s.jpg
aux3s.jpg

Very good article. I did the same mod recently with exactly the same ICD kit. I have a few comments from experience that may save others some time once they have such an input.

1 I found that using the iPod connector as supplied there was some electrical noise as hard drive was accessed (IPod Classic) or even as you interacted with the touch screen (iPod Touch!). This mostly disappeared if I disconnected the power input to the IDC box (you can remove the in-line fuse). In fact to my surprise I got a better sound by connecting the headphone output of either iPod. I did this by connecting the phono outputs of the IDC box to the iPod via a regular (Maplin etc.) phono to 3.5mm jack adapter. I don't use the dock connector anymore.
2 Apple's click wheel interface is not at all friendly for one fingered in-car use even if you have the iPod firmly mounted. I gave up on it.
3 iPod Touch better as long as rigidly mounted - no good if it's wobbling around on one of those articulated arms! Better but still not great in my opinion.

So the otherwise lovely iPod interface doesn't work in a car for me. As this is their attraction (not sound quality) I recommend you choose a different mp3 player for in-car unless you have a car that allows control of the iPod from the standard head unit.

I got myself a cheap Sony mp3 player with excellent sound quality and simple buttons that work very well holding the unit in one hand and at eye level so you aren't looking away from the road. I find this less distracting than using either iPod in any of the mounts I tried.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/mp3/review/2009/10/05/Sony-Walkman-NWZ-E443-4GB/p1

I found even decent quality cradles and brackets (I tried Brodit and Belkin) are ugly and not very effective but that's maybe just me.

One snag is that the sound level is a bit low from the Sony. I found an easy fix though - a tiny in-line amp for £20

http://www.trustedreviews.com/mp3/review/2009/03/15/FiiO-E5-Headphone-Amplifier/p1

The result is not only a louder output but one of better quality - top end clarity and bass weight especially are much improved compared to without the amp. Best £20 I ever spent!

Good quality mp3s through this setup sound much better than the original CD player (mine broke hence the whole project). I routed the cable from the IDC box by simply drilling a whole in the back of the storage bin as it's out of sight. Cabling mp3 player and amp sit in there very happily. It's where the CDs used to live so seems appropriate!

Great write up. :D

I used it the weekend to fit my Grom idevice/aux input thingy which works a treat, and sound great only took 20 minutes from start to finish following the instructions above.

Quick tip, if your fitting one of these to use an iphone 4, then you don't need a mirror just use the front facing camera to find the input socket you need :D

Does this work on facelift models with sat nav and premium sound?

I can't see the posted pictures for some reason?

Is this the link that would be needed?

My link

Thanks

Got mine delivered the other day, now just need to find someone brave enough to fit it....

Very helpful chap on the phone called Laurence. If it works, then I can not recommend them enough! Time will tell.

Hi all.

I'm thinking of doing this with my Accord. My head unit has the controls for an autochanger but I don't believe my car has an autochanger fitted, at least I can't find it!

Anyway, like I said, my head unit has buttons disc 1 through disc 6 on the front panel so I'm ***uming the head unit has the socket on the back to connect an auto changer?

Do I need to install the ground loop?

Cheers

All done!

Thanks to this excellent write-up I've just installed an Xcarlink into my Accord, now I have USB!

Cheers!

I have bought and instaled Connects2 CTVHOX002 , to my honda accord 2007 with sat nav and it does not work! does anyone knows why? what am i doing wrong?

I have bought and instaled Connects2 CTVHOX002 , to my honda accord 2007 with sat nav and it does not work! does anyone knows why? what am i doing wrong?

I had two versions of the Connects2 boxes (001, 002) and they both didn't work in my Non-Sat Nav stereo. I got the ICD box and it worked perfectly. It's the same idea as the Connect2 box - red/white RCA input on the box that connects to the Aux input on the back of the stereo. When connected hit the CD/AUX button on the stereo until 'CDC' comes up on the display.

The box you'll need it called HONX3. You can order it by contacting sales@icd-ltd.com or calling 0121-323-2880

The cost for me was:

HONX3 - £40.00
Delivery to Ireland - £8.00

You can pay through PayPal also, just ask and they'll give you the details.

i have looked everywere and looks like nobody have writen how to connect on the satnav version. non sat nav is different. satnav version got cd changer integrated in the unit, and you can plug another one at the back of the unit. i did so with the kit i bought, but it did not work. i give up and will be sending that Connects2 CTVHOX002 back to the shop i have bought it from. maybe its faulty?! will try to get another one.

Did you gave the jumper settings right? I had mine in a tizz the first time round.

You might not have them, but on my unit (the one from ICD) there are two sets of switches on the unit that sets what it does and how it effects the headunit and controls.

Looking at your unit it may not have these though.

Remember mine three times the price as well ;).

:) cheers, understand now :) mine didnt had any switches. im just packing it up and will be sending it back today. will go to car audio place to see what they car recomend, as i did alot of searching online and cant really find alot of info about aux on satnav units.

Well I strongly suggest either the Xcarlink, or my unit from Al's link above. Yes they are more expensive, but they work a treat. Pretty sure mine had an AUX input as well as the iPod lead.

Xcarlink give us a discount too.

i have looked everywere and looks like nobody have writen how to connect on the satnav version. non sat nav is different. satnav version got cd changer integrated in the unit, and you can plug another one at the back of the unit. i did so with the kit i bought, but it did not work. i give up and will be sending that Connects2 CTVHOX002 back to the shop i have bought it from. maybe its faulty?! will try to get another one.

My Non-SatNAV version is the executive's Premium Sound System with an in-built 6CD changer.

Is your white aux input at the back being used already? If so, you'll need a y-splitter for it.

Get the ICD one that I gave info about above. It works with the in-build CD changer.

Ordered xcarlink yesterday morning , so should receive it today :) hope it will work with my unit.

all installed and working. xcarlink a bit expensive, but works ok.shame it does not show anything other than just "EXTENSION" on head unit when ipod playing.

My Non-SatNAV version is the executive's Premium Sound System with an in-built 6CD changer.

Is your white aux input at the back being used already? If so, you'll need a y-splitter for it.

Get the ICD one that I gave info about above. It works with the in-build CD changer.

just to add that the back white socket should not be used...well not unless you are in US with digital radio or something!

I've just finished an XCarlink install. Just to make it clear, the Exec is different to this. It's a bit trickier. You need to remove the DVDROM drive and loosen 2 screws under the CD player. Then slide a spatula in the top of the console to pop it open and get at the other screws you need to undo to slide the CD player out. The AUX input is at the back near the top, so you have to go at this job from both the top of the console and the bottom. And don't do what I did and drop bolts into the middle where the gear mechanism, ECU etc is. I ended up taking off other panels just to get the bolts back :rolleyes: .

Anyway, you can find a nice clear guide on this Civic forum:

Fitting XCarlink in 7th Gen Exec

Thanks for all the help as always though. It's great to have the iPod in the car at last :D .

All,

Fallen at the first hurdle. Where is the locking nut for the gear knob? I've got the 'leather' gaitor and it just twists. I don't want to tear it.

Cheers
Rich.

The leather gaiter is attached to a plastic clip that clips into the bottom of the gear knob. A bit of a tug downwards on the gaiter should unclip it from the gear knob which will then unscrew. There's no lock nut as such if memory serves.